The "Nostalgia Over Things You Didn't Even Live Through" Thread

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I was watching Futurama with my mom a few days ago and Fry said "Engage shields, engage Yarnell!" and I started laughing. Mom asked me how I knew who Shields and Yarnell are and I said,
"They were on the Muppet Show remember?"
She then started laughing alongside me and saying that thanks to The Muppet Show I know a lot of obscure celebrities and songs most kids my age don't know. I also watched Fraggle Rock, Schoolhouse Rock, Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes, AAAHH! Real Monsters, CatDog, and Beavis and Butt-Head when I was younger despite them all being before my time.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
An old thread worth bumping because this totally happens to me; songs like Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" make me feel like I lived through the '80s.

A lot of songs sample by Vaporwave artists are good for this.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Being a diehard Robot Chicken fan makes me feel like I'm an expert on He-Man, Thundercats, Transformers, and all the other stuff they regularly parody on there........despite never having seen ANY of those shows and all of them being before my time.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Stuff I grew up on that was before my time (I'm a very late 90s/00s kid so anything from the 70s, 80s, and early-to-mid 90s qualifies for this list):

-The old episodes of Sesame Street
-The Muppet Show
-Fraggle Rock
-The classic Disney movies (Alice in Wonderland, Robin Hood, The Jungle Book, The Aristocats, etc.)
-The old episodes of The Simpsons
-Garbage Pail Kids
-Elvis Presley
-The Beatles
-John Cougar Mellencamp
-Richard Scarry's Busytown series
-AAAHH! Real Monsters
-Bump in the Night
-Beavis and Butt-Head
-CatDog
-Crystal Castles (That classic Atari game about a bear who has to save his honey pot from an evil witch)
-Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal
-All the 70s and 80s movies my parents grew up with and then showed me (Back To The Future, Indiana Jones, Home Alone, etc.)
-The works of Dr. Seuss
-The classic Super Mario game for the NES
-It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown as well as the Christmas and Thanksgiving specials (all of which were annual celebrations in our house around holiday season)
-The original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie
-The Big Comfy Couch
-Wacky Packages
-The classic Looney Tunes shorts
-Tom and Jerry
-Tom Petty's music
-Wallace and Gromit
-Forrest Gump
-The works of Beverly Cleary (Fudge, Ramona and Beezus, etc.)

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Well, I have a huge love for 80's music, and I was born in '92.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
Seriously, if re-incarnation is a real thing, then my past self was born in the 50's. I pretty much like all old stuff. Old TV, old music, old movies, old books, old stuff!

Old Thunder

Reaction score
The reign of Vlad III Tepes (the Impaler), Prince of Wallachia. Those were the days...

Blue Frackle

Reaction score

This song is the definition of this thread for me. Nice video too. a e s t h e t i c

Reminds me of midday Saturday TV for some reason, like watching weird movies like Killer Klowns from Outer Space.