The "Nostalgia Over Things You Didn't Even Live Through" Thread

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I am 26 years old... this song makes me feel like I'm sitting in the back of my mom's car listening to AM radio in 1973... music is crazy. I actually enjoy feeling melancholic lol.

It's unfathomable how much the music business would change in a short 30-40 years; by the late-2000s the radio would simply become unlistenable and unrecognizable.

Edit: The worst part is that all of these great soft rock artists (Seals & Crofts, Ambrosia, Bread, Carole King, Chicago, Todd Rundgren, Carly Simon, America and on and on) are being phased out of the radio, and it's the same Queen, Billy Joel and Journey songs ad nauseam. I've had my fill of arena rock forever; it means nothing to me anymore. Everyday it's Black Betty, Bohemian Rhapsody and Hotel California over and over again. Bryan Adams, Def Leppard and Poison are also starting to take over the oldies stations *shudders*.

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I am 26 years old... this song makes me feel like I'm sitting in the back of my mom's car listening to AM radio in 1973... music is crazy. I actually enjoy feeling melancholic lol.

It's unfathomable how much the music business would change in a short 30-40 years; by the late-2000s the radio would simply become unlistenable and unrecognizable.

Edit: The worst part is that all of these great soft rock artists (Seals & Crofts, Ambrosia, Bread, Carole King, Chicago, Todd Rundgren, Carly Simon, America and on and on) are being phased out of the radio, and it's the same Queen, Billy Joel and Journey songs ad nauseam. I've had my fill of arena rock forever; it means nothing to me anymore. Everyday it's Black Betty, Bohemian Rhapsody and Hotel California over and over again. Bryan Adams, Def Leppard and Poison are also starting to take over the oldies stations *shudders*.
I lived through all this. FM radio used to be great, but by the 90s the playlists got more restrictive. Same three Who songs, same 5 Stones songs, blah blah blah.
I love Led Zeppelin (their debut is still one of my faves ever) but I HATE Stairway to Heaven. The best song on the album IV is, to me, When the Levee Breaks.

Same with The Who. won’t Get Fooled Again has beenoverplayed to death.
It was released as a single, but the B side is a real gem called I Don’t Even Know Myself. One of the best things Pete Townsend ever wrote, but you had to dig for it.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
I had no idea how torturous the radio was until I started working a 9-5, and somehow the stations' libraries have narrowed since I started: the mix station is the same station as the classic rock station as the oldies station and so forth.

I lived through all this. FM radio used to be great, but by the 90s the playlists got more restrictive. Same three Who songs, same 5 Stones songs, blah blah blah.
I love Led Zeppelin (their debut is still one of my faves ever) but I HATE Stairway to Heaven. The best song on the album IV is, to me, When the Levee Breaks.

Same with The Who. won’t Get Fooled Again has beenoverplayed to death.
It was released as a single, but the B side is a real gem called I Don’t Even Know Myself. One of the best things Pete Townsend ever wrote, but you had to dig for it.
I'm pretty sure I brought this up to you before, but oddly enough, Stairway to Heaven is played maybe 7x a year at my job on classic rock radio, I swear to you. It's also funny you don't like the song given your religious background. Other songs that are inexplicably crazy rare are Smoke on the Water and Iron Man; other than that, it's the same playlist every day save the "Classic Cafe" which is supposed to be the request lunch hour but they are even lying about the requests now! Every other song is a request, and the disc jockey even lies, making up names and stories for the imaginary people who requested the overplayed songs! ****!

Radio is one of the strangest facets of humanity and people seem to be okay with it... imagine if the same three episodes of your favorite TV show were played every single day...

I'll check out that Pete tune. 👍

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
This is another of those songs for me:

How this failed to penetrate the charts is beyond me.
I haven’t heard of these guys either, but I like their 70s vibe. Shades of the Raspberries and Badfinger. Neat!

it’s funny how some bands make it and others don’t. Yes is one of my favorite bands. Their first two albums were really good, but sold poorly and got very little radio exposure. ( Their record label. Atlantic, really didn’t do much to promote them. Most of the push focused on Led Zeppelin).

But if it sounds good to you, that’s the only standard that really matters.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Even though they're from Virginia, Artful Dodger still manage to get the occasional request on Cleveland's classic rock station. I guess Cleveland was huge for breaking a lot of bands in the '70s, popular and obscure (Rush for instance).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One thing I would love to see come back, although I’m a hundred years too late-
Once upon a time you went to the drugstore to have a soda. Sit on a stool at the soda fountain, have a Coke made before your eyes, or have an ice cream soda or a sundae.
Kinda like how Hooper’s store used to be when Mr. Hooper was with us.

I’ve been around the country, and a few soda fountains still exist. It’s fun sitting on a stool (especially if they swivel and you can spin around) and getting a customized soda.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That was way before my time. As a kid, whenever somebody mentions "drug store," it was in the vein of chains like Walgreen's or CVS: essentially a little glorified dollar store with a big pharmacy in the back.