The Nostalgia Critic Thread Lives Again!

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
NC finally reviewed the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie . . . kind of wished he did that back when the series was good and didn't rely on the inclusion of unnecessary additional cast members doing sketches throughout the review.
In general, yeah, I do tend to find the sketches unnecessary and unfunny ninety-five percent of the time, but I was pleasantly surprised by this particular episode. I thought the sketch parts were actually pretty good and actually served as a good framing device. Best review in a long time in my opinion, I highly recommend it.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
It's Wednesday, you know what that means. Time for a new NC!
It's a review of the second Michael Bay Ninja Turtles movie and it's another crossover with AVGN and Black Nerd:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just don't like the crossovers. But then again, I don't know why I keep making that complaint, because it's clear there's no going back at this point: the days of classic Nostalgia Critic are long gone.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I just don't like the crossovers. But then again, I don't know why I keep making that complaint, because it's clear there's no going back at this point: the days of classic Nostalgia Critic are long gone.
I actually think they did crossovers far more during the "classic" era then they do now.

mr3urious

Reaction score
So, NC just put out an editorial about the Disney sequels we want. The only one I agree with is Fantasia, if only because Disney intended for it to get an annual re-release with a couple of new segments replacing the old ones, but World War II put a stop to that idea. And even though it's impossible to give Who Framed Roger Rabbit a sequel with Bob Hoskins being dead and all, it would be nice to see a straight adaptation of the book's sequel that followed the movie far closer.
Zootopia would be interesting as well, maybe focusing on Dawn Bellwether's post-prison exploits and having us follow her on her road to redemption. I feel like this cuddly little zealot deserved some more backstory on why she became so prejudiced towards predators, too.

Plus, I highly disagree with Monsters University being terrible, if only for the strong message it gives.

https://vid.me/Bz7r

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know about "we," but I've been saying for years that "we" really don't need a Roger Rabbit sequel - especially after so many years after the fact. The way they can do CGI to look fairly (though not entirely) realistic, a sequel would certainly lack the whimsical wonder the original had of cartoons and live action people co-existing in the same universe. And since the original is such a significant piece of cinematic history, a sequel at this part would only tarnish its credibility and integrity.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I don't know about "we," but I've been saying for years that "we" really don't need a Roger Rabbit sequel - especially after so many years after the fact. The way they can do CGI to look fairly (though not entirely) realistic, a sequel would certainly lack the whimsical wonder the original had of cartoons and live action people co-existing in the same universe. And since the original is such a significant piece of cinematic history, a sequel at this part would only tarnish its credibility and integrity.
I know Robert Zemeckis wanted a sequel, and was threatening one for years. I bet it would have used mo-cap technology, which at least would allow the actors to react to something. Thank Glob his animation studio went under after Mars Needs Moms flopped tremendously.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That brings me to another thing I've been saying for years too: what's the point of motion caption? I mean, it seems to me that if you need to hire live people to act out the movements of the characters and have the animation laid over them, it seems to me it'd make more sense to just do the movie live action instead.

I can understand utilizing video references for certain movements, but the entire motion capture process seems unnecessary.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Motion Capture takes a lot of time to refine and get all the jitters out. I think one of the better uses was probably Monster House.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Motion Capture takes a lot of time to refine and get all the jitters out. I think one of the better uses was probably Monster House.
Also helps that the visuals were more stylized rather than a looking like a bunch of re-animated corpses.