The new What Made You Smile Today thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That’s what I love about the show. It has something everyone can enjoy, no matter what age you are.

If only the workshop still uploaded classic material on their YouTube channel....
Well, Alex,I have you to thank (along with Oscarfan and Tiny Dancer) for posting so many gems on YouTube. Stuff that I had great memories of, but thought I’d never see again.

Old farts like me are grateful for the memories you brought back, and for younger people to see for the first time.
It just made me sad, no matter what and how much you post, others (Rohail Hashmi, Veston Bruno) keep DEMANDING more. No gratitude. The 773H with them.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Much appreciated, thank you! Always fun uploading classic material that isn’t publicly available yet (or at the very least could always use an upgrade).

cjd874

Reaction score
That’s what I love about the show. It has something everyone can enjoy, no matter what age you are.
I first watched Sesame Street when I was 3 years old during the Around the Corner era. They still showed classic segments from the '70s and '80s, along with the newer material. And I was hooked from day one. I loved Big Bird, Oscar, Snuffy, Elmo, the Count, and the rest of the Muppets as if they were members of my family.

My mother used to be a preschool teacher before I was born, so we bought several VHS tapes from the "Sesame Home Video" and "Sesame Songs" series. My favorite tape was "Rock and Roll," and I loved it so much that I brought it to kindergarten to show my class. But my most vivid early memory was watching Beat the Time with Cookie Monster on the "Play-Along Games & Songs" videotape, and when I saw Cookie drive a train through Guy Smiley's studio I laughed until I cried. Nearly 24 years later, it is still one of my all-time favorite Sesame Street segments. I originally enjoyed it simply for its comedic value...but now I enjoy taking note of the frantic pacing, the puppeteers' impeccable delivery, and the outstanding special effects.

No other show went to the lengths that Joan Ganz Cooney, Jim Henson, Jeff Moss, Jon Stone, and the cast and crew went to, in order to educate and entertain millions of families around the globe. Whether it's an Ernie and Bert sketch, an animal film, or a sing-along cartoon about 12 ladybugs at a picnic...Sesame Street has been setting the educational TV standard for five decades. It has become bigger than they could have ever hoped. We learned how to read, count, spell, sing, and be better people because of the lessons that Sesame Street taught.

Happy 51st birthday to the most influential and popular children's TV show in history. I will always love Sesame Street.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Thanks to COPPA and such, I haven't seen SW post anything on their YouTube channel for almost a year.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
But I mean like you can't get subscription updates or channel notifications anymore if a channel and/or its content is labeled as being made for kids under COPPA.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Happy Veterans Day.
Over the years, I grew more respect for anyone who put on a uniform and went to fight.
Right around my 18th birthday we almost went to war with Libya, and I wouldn’t go. Five years later, my health prevented me from serving in Desert Storm. But my sister served in the Army Reserves.

I’ve met veterans going back to World War II. Their service should never be forgotten.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
On November 13, Felix zinger was asked to remove himself from his place of residence. That request came from his wife. Deep down he knew she was right, but he also knew someday he’d return to her.

With nowhere else to go, he went to the home of his childhood friend, Oscar Madison. Several years earlier, Madison’s wife threw him out, requesting that he never return.

Can two divorced men share an apartment without driving each other crazy?

I know Snowthy says Tony Randall and Jack Klugman are THE Odd Couple.
But just as strong were Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau in the movie and spilled over in the Grumpy Old Men series.
Props also to the original Broadway version, with Matthau and Art Carney.

one version that fell short, Ron Glass and DeMond Wilson in a short-lived black version.

But 50 years on tv is neat. Even though the show was shot on a Paramount soundstage (right next door to The Brady Bunch), I loved the footage of Felix and Oscar walking the New York streets.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"Felix Zinger"? :stick_out_tongue:

Walter Matthau was a pretty good Oscar in the movie, I agree, but then again, he often was really good in those kind of curmudgeonly roles . . . Jack Lemmon, eh, I found his Felix to be a little too obnoxious - not that Tony Randall's Felix didn't have his obnoxious moments, particular in the first season of the series, but I find Randall's Felix to have more of a quirky spunk that makes the character seem all the more delightful in spite of his neurotic tendancies.

Matter of fact, even though I usually have a stronger preference for the more cinematic, single-camera/laugh track-only sitcoms of the period, I feel THE ODD COUPLE really came alive when it switched to multi-camera in front of a live audience. Not that the first season wasn't good in its own right, but both characters feel so much more subdued and restricted in the single-cam format; once they switched to multi-cam in front of an audience, and Tony and Jack had far much more freedom to let loose and play off of each other, it was almost like the difference between night and day: their performances are so much livelier, energetic, and charismatic - Felix, in particular, almost feels like an entirely different character . . . and bringing in the ex-wives, and even occasionally Felix's kids also added a little extra dynamic that was really lacking in the first season, when the ex-wives were always mentioned, but never seen.

It's also my understanding that during the multi-cam seasons, Tony and Jack's method of working together was sort of similar to how Jim Henson and Frank Oz did Ernie and Bert, in that they would more often than not deviate away from the scripts, and act out the scenes in their own way, playing off of each other naturally - or, even in some cases, the writers would just give them a basic premise for a scene, let them do it their way, then tailor the scripts around their performances (i.e. "Oscar teaches Felix how to play football. Okay, go.")

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
So I did another galaxycon chat, and while I previously met her two years ago at RI CC.... I couldn’t resist having another small chat with Tara Strong. 😄

As you can see, I also brought in my funko Harley Quinn plush for the pic which she loved. I also even got to ask her a quick voice acting question.

I have the video of her and I saved and uploaded on YouTube. For what it’s also worth, I also uploaded my chat with Jodi Benson from the beginning of this month as well: