The Muppets SPOILER Thread

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Single all the Way" review in 3 words ... BEST EPISODE EVER. (and all around amazing Christmas special)

They got everything right. Comedy? Check. Characters acting normal? Check. Musical numbers? Check!! Heartfelt moments? Check. Muppety goodness? CHECK CHECK CHECK!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was AMAZING and I really hope that this is the direction the show will be going in, come February.

And if anyone was wondering on the status of Kermit and Piggy by the end of the episode ...
No, but they've planted the seeds to potentially getting back together by the end of the season.
"
They'd better not get back together by the end of the the season. It'd be a complete waste and a bad idea all around.

Keep them apart for at least a couple more seasons. The pig still has a lot more growing up and maturing to do.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
And even though the answer will be no, I want to hope that they started throwing in more characters that have not appeared in the show yet.

Man, I hope they really start throwing in even more "incredibly obscure Muppets" when the show returns from its winter break. It's been the same characters in the background or otherwise for too long now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
True, but the uncle thing was a strength, something he could hold over Kermit. Whereas there's really no dignity in being a Mama's boy character. It just feels like the writers think ridiculing these characters is funny.
I have to admit, I like neither. When Scooter first appeared, the whole "holding things over Kermit's head" bit just... it leaves a sour tone, and thankfully the writers abandoned it quickly on (or at least didn't bring it up so much). J.P. Grosse breathing down Kermit's neck was funny and inspired. I just felt that Scooter comes off as an incompetent jerk that's only there for nepotism because even the Uncle is flustered at what a little doofus he was. And that's not why we love the character. We love Scooter because he's devoted, loyal member of the crew that looks up to Kermit and that's good at his job among a pack of crazies. He has just as much responsibility as Kermit to keep the show going off the rails, and he may not be Kermit's closest friend, he's his second in command. Could you imagine if the character evolved into a jerk that secretly ran everything in the show, and someone Kermit begrudged more than J.P? The writers and Richard Hunt made the character a lot more lovable.

As much as I say "no Muppet Canon" a lot, I think making him the sane and focused manager of the Electric Mayhem from the Muppet Movie was a better fit.

As for the mommy's boy jokes, it's not so much that he lives with his mother, but the frequency of the jokes about him living with his mother. I'm absolutely thankful we're getting a LOT of Scooter in this series. Just if they toned the jokes down to maybe once every other episode until they phase it out completely, that would be great.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And that's not why we love the character. We love Scooter because he's devoted, loyal member of the crew that looks up to Kermit and that's good at his job among a pack of crazies.
Actually, I love the character because he is both fiercely loyal and ruthlessly ambitious. There's a fine line there and that's very true to life if you want a career in show business. Muppet Show always had that undertone of how desperate people in showbiz can get. That's why i kinda giggle when I hear that this new show is supposedly bold and new for being cynical.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
(Sigh) Heralde, do you really want to get knocked arse over teakettle? :boo:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Such things never happen in the middle of the day. And if they do, I ignore them, and they're bound to go away.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, I love the character because he is both fiercely loyal and ruthlessly ambitious. There's a fine line there and that's very true to life if you want a career in show business. Muppet Show always had that undertone of how desperate people in showbiz can get.
It is, but they could have easily turned Scooter into an unlovable jerk over it. But the writers prevailed and made the character endearing. Same deal, only with different effects with Fleet Scribbler. Had the writers not made him a one note passive aggressive caricature of tabloid reporters (even though they deserved it), they probably could have used him more. Plus, the characterization of a kind of incompetent doofus that relies on nepotism for his own survival kinda gets under my skin, especially for personal reasons. That was also played for laughs in MTI with Fozzie, and while I do like that film, I'm not 100% of how that joke worked.

As for the show, I'll agree. The show has been steadily getting better the less cynical and "edgy" it gets. I'm going to chalk that one up to why one of the show runners left and prematurely blame everything wrong with the show early on directly on him. You can be slightly subversive without being too jaded, and something that jaded somehow is more worthy of cynicism from the audience. If they can keep that in check, I think the show has no where to go but up.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It is, but they could have easily turned Scooter into an unlovable jerk over it.
Oh definitely. I almost feel like the first season Muppet Show came close to the same mistakes Family Guy fell into--thinking it's funny to watch continually characters get dumped on, or be jerks, with no relief in sight. Mistaken bullying for humor basically. Really glad they got that out of their system early, lol.

Last edited:

Harleena

Reaction score
I seriously loved "Single All the Way". It was a really sweet episode. On an unrelated note, I recently bought a cheongsam-style dress. Not even a real cheongsam. Someone said it was cultural appropriation and that the style belonged to the Chinese, so I responded with "Um, it belongs to the universe!" in my best Janice voice.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Does anyone know if they've started filming the eleventh episode yet ?
@Harleena love your holiday avatar by the way.