"The Muppets" show runner exits, series to be relaunched February 2 with episodes 11-16

Muppy

Reaction score
I think that's one of the smaller things they need with the show. I did like in the new movies how they constantly referenced other projects, and I really think this series could use jut a smidge of that. Even the new Peanuts movie they managed to Easter egg and reference things, like the infamous "No Dogs Allowed!"

The show could indeed use a little more meta. If there's one thing from the prepitch pilot that's missing here it's little references to minor muppet characters. Sure, we can see Beautiful Day in the background of one of the last episodes, but I really think they need a meta joke punch here and there. A joke about a previous film, maybe? I'd love to see them make a joke about licensing themselves out as Muppet Babies. I think that sort of thing can easily fit into the show without ruining too much of the element. After all, the show is about the production of a TV show starring characters that have had shows and movies before. Why not name check a couple here and there? Have Kermit say something like "Muppet Christmas Carol bought me a nice car, and Muppet Treasure Island bought me a nicer one" or something like that.
I like that this show doesn't reference the past projects the Muppets have done. Think back to the Muppet Show, Muppets Tonight and even the first 6 movies and notice how they rarely (if ever) made a reference to earlier shows, movies, etc. Both The Muppets (2011) and Muppets Most Wanted, focused heavily on The Muppet Show and the first three movies (using songs from The Muppet Show, The Muppet Movie, the Great Muppet Caper and The Muppets Take Manhattan, while also making various call backs to them as well) instead of making a brand new idea that didn't depend on nostalgia and the original concepts of the Muppets. Those two movies tried to create some kind of canon for the Muppets, which didn't really work in my opinion. I liked when each individual project had it's own canon (which is something I like about The Muppets (2015)). The new show feels classic in that way because the writers have to come up with new ideas, and better jokes, rather than a (potentially) forced reference that only hard core Muppet fans will understand.

cahuenga

Reaction score
I like that this show doesn't reference the past projects the Muppets have done. Think back to the Muppet Show, Muppets Tonight and even the first 6 movies and notice how they rarely (if ever) made a reference to earlier shows, movies, etc. Both The Muppets (2011) and Muppets Most Wanted, focused heavily on The Muppet Show and the first three movies (using songs from The Muppet Show, The Muppet Movie, the Great Muppet Caper and The Muppets Take Manhattan, while also making various call backs to them as well) instead of making a brand new idea that didn't depend on nostalgia and the original concepts of the Muppets. Those two movies tried to create some kind of canon for the Muppets, which didn't really work in my opinion. I liked when each individual project had it's own canon (which is something I like about The Muppets (2015)). The new show feels classic in that way because the writers have to come up with new ideas, and better jokes, rather than a (potentially) forced reference that only hard core Muppet fans will understand.
This is one of the reasons why I don´t wanna see Walter in the show, he is a movie character, like Clueless Morgan and Polly or Ubergonzo or Betina and Belinda...and really, I dont see him fit in the new series. I think we don`t really need remember other productions on the new show, they should create an entire new cannon, with older characters, and continuate with them and with newer ones, but not from the movies.

Muppy

Reaction score
This is one of the reasons why I don´t wanna see Walter in the show, he is a movie character, like Clueless Morgan and Polly or Ubergonzo or Betina and Belinda...and really, I dont see him fit in the new series. I think we don`t really need remember other productions on the new show, they should create an entire new cannon, with older characters, and continuate with them and with newer ones, but not from the movies.
That's exactly how I feel. I want Walter and Constantine to stay as far away from this show as they can. They're movie characters, for the movie canon. Their stories were for the big screen and they really don't have a purpose on this new show.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
But that's different. Unlike the other movie characters, Walter was a major part of two movies rather then just one and he's also the only one to appear in countless talk shows and YouTube shorts as well as Muppets Pilot and this video which was not in any way meant to promote a movie
. I really feel like both Disney and the writers intended for Walter to be a main character

Last edited:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I guess it depends on how one chooses to perceive things.

A cynical person could say- This change points to a screw up and that will poison people's minds about a lack of confidence ABC has in the show. :grr:

An optimist could say - This is an opportunity to smooth out the bits they haven't gotten quite right yet. :fanatic:

A pragmatist could say -The two main showrunners weren't sharing the same vision so they hired someone who does (and who has a background in bringing musical elements to television shows). :cool:

What I think - A bit of tinkering and a promotional push next year could entice back some of those who left the show early on while retaining the audience the show already has. :smile:

I'm bewildered by those who gravitate first to pessimism, particularly Muppet fans. :wink:

oknazevad

Reaction score
That's not really late compared to other ABC shows that take a midseason break. Agent Carter, for example, is a 10 week series this year, so Agents of SHIELD will have an even longer break.

Grovette

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to February!! :big_grin:
Can't wait for promos for the next episode.

Thought it was good news that the show got a full season.
When do we find out if it will get renewed for a second season?