"The Muppets" show runner exits, series to be relaunched February 2 with episodes 11-16

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think the big thing is going to be character development, and the directions they go with certain relationships. Mostly Kermit and Piggy's. There has kind of been a role reversal in the way Kermit treats Piggy. I think that is going to be addressed because that is a huge part of what the show is all about.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I don't understand the weirdness and negativity surrounding this announcement.

Prady has always been the lead showrunner and it appears that he and Kushell were having creative differences that were making their way into show so ABC made a judgment call.

The show isn't perfect, but it has a lot working for it. Swapping out Kushell (Anger Management, the Simpsons, American Dad) with Newman (How I Met Your Mother, Chuck, Galavant) seems to gel better with the classic Muppets spirit - that underneath the conflict, they're still a family. Even though I didn't see much wrong on screen, I'm focusing on the positive possibilities with this tweak.

There are so many fans needlessly worrying that they're going to completely change the program, but I haven't read that anywhere. All I've read is that there will be some tinkering and a relaunch in the spring.

All I think that will change is that they'll probably add a bit more music, fun and a sense of camaraderie that the show has been missing.

The show's numbers are solid, but they really could be doing better. Maybe they can get some of the audience back with a bit more cheer, music and madness. That's what I'm thinking. The rest will probably remain the same. :smile:

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I don't understand the weirdness and negativity surrounding this announcement.

Prady has always been the lead showrunner and it appears that he and Kushell were having creative differences that were making their way into show so ABC made a judgment call.

The show isn't perfect, but it has a lot working for it. Swapping out Kushell (Anger Management, the Simpsons, American Dad) with Newman (How I Met Your Mother, Chuck, Galavant) seems to gel better with the classic Muppets spirit - that underneath the conflict, they're still a family. Even though I didn't see much wrong on screen, I'm focusing on the positive possibilities with this tweak.

There are so many fans needlessly worrying that they're going to completely change the program, but I haven't read that anywhere. All I've read is that there will be some tinkering and a relaunch in the spring.

All I think that will change is that they'll probably add a bit more music, fun and a sense of camaraderie that the show has been missing.

The show's numbers are solid, but they really could be doing better. Maybe they can get some of the audience back with a bit more cheer, music and madness. That's what I'm thinking. The rest will probably remain the same.
:smile:
Well said. I don't think the show needs a major overhaul. It's good but could use a bit more of the original Muppet zaniness. Bring on the penguins :zany: , singing chickens :cluck:, boomerang fish :fishy:, random explosions :crazy: and vats of tapioca pudding :concern: .

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well said. I don't think the show needs a major overhaul. It's good but could use a bit more of the original Muppet zaniness. Bring on the penguins :zany: , singing chickens :cluck:, boomerang fish :fishy:, random explosions :crazy: and vats of tapioca pudding :concern: .
Didn't Sam say vats of pudding were off the list? Children could drown. :eek:Hahaha. :attitude:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Seems like Sam is more fair in his censorship than I had expected. I expected him to be so strict that they'd struggle to keep the show on long enough for a half-hour.

Drtooth

Reaction score

The show's numbers are solid, but they really could be doing better. Maybe they can get some of the audience back with a bit more cheer, music and madness. That's what I'm thinking. The rest will probably remain the same. :smile:
I would tend to worry if they threw the show's main plotline of Piggy and Kermit struggling with having to work with each other and realizing their break up wasn't a great idea and is tearing them apart. That's as far as the concern for the in show writing. Changes do need to be made, but those are changes that happen naturally in a TV Show's first year. And I do think that more Muppety things can be gently and gradually added in.

My concern is that this sends the message that "we screwed up" and being desperate to get the ratings they lost back up, which usually entails snarky sarcasm and bad word of mouth. Hopefully the outside Muppet fanbase followers will see this as a sign the show will improve, not that the show is desperate and should be cancelled.

I've seen improvement in the show the past 2 episodes, and I really want to see more episodes like the last one in terms of writing quality and pacing among others. There has been one thing bugging me about the show. The pre-pilot pitch episode. By far, the funniest joke in that was the "Was I in Muppet Treasure Island" line. They recycled some of the jokes in the first 2 episodes (the "Legally happy" line being clumsily thrown in), but I don't see why they didn't bother trying to squeeze that actually funny bit somewhere. Then it hit me. The show really should be making more meta jokes about past projects. Virtually every remake, reboot, or continuation of a franchise makes some effort to throw in some little nod to previous incarnations. And I find it strange that this show doesn't. I don't think that would be the huge improvement the series needs, but if they're going for this documentary style where they break the fourth wall by design, why not mention other projects while they're at it?

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
I would tend to worry if they threw the show's main plotline of Piggy and Kermit struggling with having to work with each other and realizing their break up wasn't a great idea and is tearing them apart. That's as far as the concern for the in show writing. Changes do need to be made, but those are changes that happen naturally in a TV Show's first year. And I do think that more Muppety things can be gently and gradually added in.

My concern is that this sends the message that "we screwed up" and being desperate to get the ratings they lost back up, which usually entails snarky sarcasm and bad word of mouth. Hopefully the outside Muppet fanbase followers will see this as a sign the show will improve, not that the show is desperate and should be cancelled.

I've seen improvement in the show the past 2 episodes, and I really want to see more episodes like the last one in terms of writing quality and pacing among others. There has been one thing bugging me about the show. The pre-pilot pitch episode. By far, the funniest joke in that was the "Was I in Muppet Treasure Island" line. They recycled some of the jokes in the first 2 episodes (the "Legally happy" line being clumsily thrown in), but I don't see why they didn't bother trying to squeeze that actually funny bit somewhere. Then it hit me. The show really should be making more meta jokes about past projects. Virtually every remake, reboot, or continuation of a franchise makes some effort to throw in some little nod to previous incarnations. And I find it strange that this show doesn't. I don't think that would be the huge improvement the series needs, but if they're going for this documentary style where they break the fourth wall by design, why not mention other projects while they're at it?
Now that I think of it, I don't think the show has made any references to previous Muppet stuff.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think that's one of the smaller things they need with the show. I did like in the new movies how they constantly referenced other projects, and I really think this series could use jut a smidge of that. Even the new Peanuts movie they managed to Easter egg and reference things, like the infamous "No Dogs Allowed!"

The show could indeed use a little more meta. If there's one thing from the prepitch pilot that's missing here it's little references to minor muppet characters. Sure, we can see Beautiful Day in the background of one of the last episodes, but I really think they need a meta joke punch here and there. A joke about a previous film, maybe? I'd love to see them make a joke about licensing themselves out as Muppet Babies. I think that sort of thing can easily fit into the show without ruining too much of the element. After all, the show is about the production of a TV show starring characters that have had shows and movies before. Why not name check a couple here and there? Have Kermit say something like "Muppet Christmas Carol bought me a nice car, and Muppet Treasure Island bought me a nicer one" or something like that.