"The Muppets" show runner exits, series to be relaunched February 2 with episodes 11-16

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
Just managed to record a promo for episode 11! Unfortunately, it's a shorter version than the Key and Peele Muppets promo and doesn't have them in it, but it's still something. Also, sorry for the terrible quality.

LabyrinthLani

Reaction score
I'm afraid they're reacting to the negative reception of the show instead of addressing the issues brought up and slowly dealing with them with each episode. You know, gradually making the show more Muppety but keeping the more sitcom tone of the show. I don't blame Disney for the showrunner leaving, but this report heavily hints at some higher up not liking the direction the show took.

If there's one problem the show has had, it can all be attributed to this being rushed out the gate. Some of the past Muppet projects had that same problem, but unlike LTS and the Gaga special, a running show can gradually improve.

Now whatever the result of this was, I really wanted to see a Muppet series follow a sitcom format instead of a variety show with some small backstage plots maybe. I don't want Muppet Show 2.0 because that's why Muppets Tonight failed. There's a way to keep the format and improve on it. Throw in some chickens and some singing vegetables if they must. Add in one musical number like Piggy's apology in "Walk the Swine." Show some of the sketches. They can add just a little more of the Miss Piggy show and still keep the show format. And hopefully that's what the relaunch will entail. Not cowtowing to the demands of those who just want a pale copy of what they've done before. Just addressing concerns and working them out. This show's not perfect by any stretch. Neither was the first season of the original show.
Yeah...

This news is not good. After they give the show the ultimate chance by bumping the series to 16 episodes, they decide "Hey, let's take a hiatus and redo the show for the last 6 episodes."

Ugh. The series is just gradually finding its footing after being rushed to production. The last two episodes showed huge signs of improvement, proving the Muppets can work the Office tone of the show. Now Disney's saying "Feh" to that. That's not a lot of confidence.

What I really hope to not see is some lame retread of the old series. I don't think they can do it justice and it'll just be an unintentional clone of what didn't work in Muppets Tonight. I really think they can make the most of the mockumentary format if they let a little less Office and a little more Parks and Rec (there is a slight difference), maybe some more 30 Rock in there.
Oh my god.
Not the news I wanted to hear today...
This is 100% official?
(I read the linked article)

LabyrinthLani

Reaction score
Just managed to record a promo for episode 11! Unfortunately, it's a shorter version than the Key and Peele Muppets promo and doesn't have them in it, but it's still something. Also, sorry for the terrible quality.

I'm anxious about this.
I thought the show was doing great! One or two episodes I thought were "eh," but otherwise, I was pleasantly surprised with how much laughter escaped from me.
If they reboot, I don't know how I'd feel about the show.

LabyrinthLani

Reaction score
I am cautiously optimistic with this report. I have enjoyed all the episodes, but I think there is still room for tweaking. I think they are close to capturing that "Muppety Feel". In fact in some plots and some characters (Deadly, Carl, Yolanda) they have it. So, I say let them tinker. They have a handful of episodes left. I am curious what they will be like.
I just hope all goes smoothly.
It's been going swell, besides some improvement areas.

Muppet Master

Reaction score

Great promo, there were like two other ones I remember, one extended version of that, and one commercial where it was paired with Fresh off the Boat, overall though, doesn't look like they've changed too much which is good news.