The Muppets Do Local Open Mic Night

Muppetto

Reaction score
It's been a while since I have regularly posted (I've been more of a lurker over the years), but wanted to share a great personal story, having recently watched and enjoyed Puppet Up! on my DVR.

This past June, I heard about an open mic night at a local performance hall and decided I was going to recite some poetry using celebrity voices. I've been performing voices since I was in elementary school and even won 2nd place in dramatic performance during my 5th grade year at a 4-H event.

Anyway, less than 2 hours before I went on stage, I was at home practicing a A.A. Milne poem that I enjoyed reciting as a child and felt as if I was hitting a roadblock. I was flipping back and forth between actual celebrity voices and Muppet voices. As I sat there loosening my vocal chords, I practiced my Swedish Chef impersonation and hummed something. After a moment, I realized what I was humming and decided to print out the lyrics to The Lovin' Spoonful's "Summer in the City."

Two hours later, I went on stage for the first time in years and opened myself up to the entertainment gods. I performed with glee as Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rowlf, Swedish Chef & Animal and won the hearts of the mostly Gen-Y crowd. They erupted into laughs and applause as I finished and many of them approached me afterwards to share their kind thoughts.

I wanted to go back and perform some Christmas tunes as The Muppets this month, but there is no open mic night scheduled.

I suppose there's always next year.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
That's great that everything went so well for you! Congradulations!

BEAR

Reaction score
Goodluck! Or as we say in showbiz..."Fall over backwards!"

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Sounds great.

I talked a buddy into doing Open Mike Night and he slayed the audience with a fresh, new routine. Great stuff.

I thought about trying it myself with my own jokes, but they're too much like Fozzie's jokes, so I'm scared to try it. Only because I don't want to go home wearing thrown tomatoes and such.