The Muppets Aren't Funny Anymore

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Golden age Sesame Street is on par with golden age Simpsons regarding humor; the puppeteers' ad-libbing is amazing.

The thing with the Muppets is we live in a different world nowadays... a little less pure; I mean, look at the music charts and compare that to the stuff that was coming out in even the '90s. Most of us weren't even alive when the Muppets were on top of the world so we hardly have any authority regarding it... I'd like to hear someone like fuzzygobo or Phillip's thoughts on this. It's a combination of Disney not understanding/not knowing what to do with them and a different world.

I was gonna post a clip of "Couldn't We Ride" from GMC and say "Tell me this could ever happen in 2020... it's just how the times work" except that scene isn't on YT... wth? Apparently Disney be blocking that ****.

It's really an interesting discussion point because I feel like the Muppets transcend a lot of things in a lot of ways but they are hardly talked about anymore. I mean, everyone knows them... right? The Muppets are everything: chaotic, crazy, sincere, heartfelt, bittersweet, etc. D'Snowth once had a really good quote that was something like "chaos with underlying melancholy".

I read an article on Yahoo recently that Mickey & Minnie Mouse merch is selling poorly at Disney Parks compared to Toy Story, Frozen and Star Wars... a lot of these classic properties are really struggling to find footing in this world (unless I guess you're Star Wars and mounted in some form of realism with guns). I know Space Jam 2 is on the horizon, but when was the last time you saw the Looney Tunes do anything worth a ****? Space Jam 1? :laugh: That's my holy trinity for timeless family entertainment: classic Disney, Looney Tunes and Muppets (I put Muppets on top because it combines the Disney whimsy and Looney Tunes slapstick), and they're all struggling to find footing in this modern age... I guess all things can't last forever; make way for Elsa and Fortnite soldier.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
i think they're only funny to an extent- they don't really match today's humor and the more disney puts them aside they just increasingly become a nostalgia troupe
The last two Muppets movies we got were written by good writers no different then any other movies for families at least the films have class and don't have fart jokes all over them. As for the 2015 show and the last two movies I thought they were LOL hilarious! and really how can you say the Muppets aren't funny anymore when there hasn't been Muppets content in over 5 years, Muppets last show or content was 2015 it is now 2020 how can nothing be funny?

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
I mean besides Fart Shoes in Muppets 2011 and The Shashank joke about how Andy Dufrain escaped from prison in Muppets Most Wanted!

Duke Remington

Reaction score
It's a combination of Disney not understanding/not knowing what to do with them and a different world.
No, Disney DOES understand them and knows what to do with them. The only things that were truly holding them back were Steve Whitmire, Debbie McClellan and Kyle Laughlin. And thank goodness those 3 are gone!

Don't even try to defend them or believe the many lies they've told!

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Golden age Sesame Street is on par with golden age Simpsons regarding humor; the puppeteers' ad-libbing is amazing.

The thing with the Muppets is we live in a different world nowadays... a little less pure; I mean, look at the music charts and compare that to the stuff that was coming out in even the '90s. Most of us weren't even alive when the Muppets were on top of the world so we hardly have any authority regarding it... I'd like to hear someone like fuzzygobo or Phillip's thoughts on this. It's a combination of Disney not understanding/not knowing what to do with them and a different world.

I was gonna post a clip of "Couldn't We Ride" from GMC and say "Tell me this could ever happen in 2020... it's just how the times work" except that scene isn't on YT... wth? Apparently Disney be blocking that ****.

It's really an interesting discussion point because I feel like the Muppets transcend a lot of things in a lot of ways but they are hardly talked about anymore. I mean, everyone knows them... right? The Muppets are everything: chaotic, crazy, sincere, heartfelt, bittersweet, etc. D'Snowth once had a really good quote that was something like "chaos with underlying melancholy".

I read an article on Yahoo recently that Mickey & Minnie Mouse merch is selling poorly at Disney Parks compared to Toy Story, Frozen and Star Wars... a lot of these classic properties are really struggling to find footing in this world (unless I guess you're Star Wars and mounted in some form of realism with guns). I know Space Jam 2 is on the horizon, but when was the last time you saw the Looney Tunes do anything worth a ****? Space Jam 1? :laugh: That's my holy trinity for timeless family entertainment: classic Disney, Looney Tunes and Muppets (I put Muppets on top because it combines the Disney whimsy and Looney Tunes slapstick), and they're all struggling to find footing in this modern age... I guess all things can't last forever; make way for Elsa and Fortnite soldier.
That Yahoo article is stupid and filled with lies!

Mickey and Friends merchandise is not selling poorly. Classic properties like them are not struggling! The new Mickey Mouse shorts, anyone?