The Muppets Aren't Funny Anymore

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A so-called "expert" in comedy talks about how comedy has somehow evolved into something even funnier in recent years, while providing examples of TMS not being funny anymore, or not holding up well:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think part of the problem, too, is that so much of comedy in recent years is so dumbed down, that even many adults might not "get" some of the more sly and subtle humor of years past.

I think I noted this in the "You Ever Noticed/What's the Deal with..." thread, but it's like in recent years, "adult humor" has gotten far more childish that anything, what with so much of it being body/bathroom/gross-out humor that you would think would only appeal to kids.

That, and in the other corner, much of humor today is also nothing more than being "ironic" and "sophisticated" to the point that it's droll and ghastly . . . somehow, that's considered "funny" now.

Humor is subjective, yes. And I really disagree with this article: as I just mentioned of what comedy has "evolved" into in recent years, it's certainly not "funnier than ever before" as the author indicates.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Yeah, of course he watched the first season where some of the character's appearances and humor have aged awkwardly.

Also, I acknowledge that while the Muppets certainly have cross-generational appeal, the 1970s iteration was more squarely aimed at children, with parents merely invited along for the ride.
wut? :sympathy:

Grumpo

Reaction score
'We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that it is not true.' - Robert Wilensky, Professor at the University of California, Berkeley (from a speech in 1996).

DMHFan

Reaction score
This is kind of a disappointment.

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
I think the Muppets are still Funny but for whatever reason people don't like the Muppets anymore the last two Muppets movies were great nostalgic trips and the box office just wasn't that great for them I don't know why. but Disney sees this and hardly promotes The Muppets we don't get Muppets TV and movies anymore it takes a backseat to Star Wars, Marvel and Pixar and Live Action remakes it really is a shame.

gravy

Reaction score
i think they're only funny to an extent- they don't really match today's humor and the more disney puts them aside they just increasingly become a nostalgia troupe