The Muppet Theatre

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Originally, the theatre was owned by Scooter's Uncle J.P. Gross, but we learn in IAVMMC that the Muppets inherit the theatre from him.
The theatre was originally called the "Benny VanDerGast Memorial Theatre."
It is also now a historical landmark...thanks to Pepe

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Man you guys type quick, I thought my last post was going to be a double post!
The Count said:
Hey Vic... Could we get a descript of that vonderful layout? Thanks.
We're most aquainted with the backstage area of the theatre, but knowing what goes on there; logically there must be more then the stage, backstage, audience and cafeteria.
What's interesting is that logically there must be a lobby (which would include stairs leading to the balcony and box seats where :sleep: & :boo: sit) and yet we're never shown it. Here's the thing that really gets me curious, there has to be a stage left, but (to the best of my knowledge) we've never seen it!
There is a back door, which is most likely where the actors, actresses, special guests, musicians, deliveries and monsters; come in; but there may be some confusion as to what it looks like. The picture I used for the backdoor I think makes sense because of the landing just outside the door with three or four steps leading to the ground (it's also similar to the where Danny Kaye sits whilst contemplating Statler and Waldorf's remarks). The fire exit (located under the overhang hallway of the dressing rooms) has stairs that lead down; thus leading them right to the street.
The interesting thing about the auditorium, is that the chairs have no center aisle for easier acess, but considering the theatre was most likely built the earlier part of the 20th century, it wouldn't have to meet specific fire codes.
There is also several other points of entry to the basement or lower level, which along with hosting the cafeteria, would most likely have been a prime are for set and props storage.
Think of this project as that of obsessed fans with Star Trek; there are multiple designs and layouts of the Enterprise, this is kind of like that. I hope as fans, you might collaborate on this with me and figure out where and how it all fits in.
So having said that: I would prefer to stick with the theatre during it's Muppet Show days, but do any of you think it changed drastically by IAVMMC? I don't remember the backstage shots very well, but I admit the picture used for the front of the theatre's marquee is from IAVMMC.

christyb

Reaction score
Hmm... other than Pop's ticket stand at the front nothing was changed in IAVMMC. However, what about Muppet Labs. Sure we're shown it from onstage but Bunsen and Beaker have a spot somewhere don't they??? But to my knowledge we are never shown back stage left. It does exist though. (At least in all logistics it should)

Just had another thought. If this gets too complicated. You might want to start doing different floors. (i.e. a different picture for each floor.)

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
christyb said:
However, what about Muppet Labs. Sure we're shown it from onstage but Bunsen and Beaker have a spot somewhere don't they???
There may have been more in the basement (aside from the cantina/cafeteria). Like storage, maintanace, and Bunsen and Beaker may have had somespace down there for their stuff.

christyb said:
But to my knowledge we are never shown back stage left. It does exist though. (At least in all logistics it should)
They showed it is IAVMMCM, there was nothing exciting back there. Just ropes, boxes, lights, ladders, and such.

christyb

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
They showed it is IAVMMCM, there was nothing exciting back there. Just ropes, boxes, lights, ladders, and such.
Oh my gosh! That's right. I completely forgot about that! Thanks.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I figured Muppet Labs was in the basement somewhere. The Chef's kitchen has to be on a level floor ground, unless the TMS Theater is on a hill, because he has a window you can see out of in his kitchen.

Don't forget that TMS Theater is based on the Hollywood Palace Theater in Hollywood, where they performed the Live Muppet Show during MuppetFest!

http://www.seeing-stars.com/ImagePages/HollywoodPalacePhoto.shtml

Here's a series of photos of the theater exterior.
http://www.hollywoodphotographs.com/search.asp?im=-1&cat=43&offset=96

http://away.com/primedia/arts_arch/last_hurray.html

I cannot locate interior photos of the Theater, though.

I can visualize the lobby interior and more, but it would be hard to describe it. It was split-level and the front part had steps going up to a party room (that's the big window over the marquee you see in the photos), and then there were steps on the other side which led up to the balcony from the lobby. Inside this theater the only box seats (ie, Statler and Waldorf) were on the right hand side looking toward the stage, and it was tiered. Everything else about the auditorium of the theater did basically look like TMS theater. It was in very bad shape, too, as I remember cracks in the wall, etc.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
The Chef's kitchen has to be on a level floor ground, unless the TMS Theater is on a hill, because he has a window you can see out of in his kitchen.
I would atribute the kitchen as a set, and the window was just showing a false exterior. You could see out the window and that it was daytime when the show was clearly filmed later in the evening as a primetime television show. That's why I would believe the window is just the magic of TV.

I am curious to learn more about this theatre, I never realized TMS theatre was based off an actual one, have you been there? Inside it?

Mario

Reaction score
christyb said:
Well, since the Muppets never did use one on air......It's an easy miss. LoL.:wink:
I think thats wierd that they never shouted like, "Got to go to the bathroom!" or anything like that followed by a sigh of relief and "Thats better."

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Acording to "The Muppet Comic Book" there are holding pens for the monsters in the basement below the stage.[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
have you been there? Inside it?
I was able to go inside the theater (with everyone who had the gold ticket) to see the Muppet Show Live for MuppetFest.