The Muppet Mindset

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been thinking about that "?" article about why Oscar wears a trash can lid on his head in illustrations lately. In the article Joe Mathiew said that he didn't know who the first person was to draw him that way. Looking at Muppet Wiki, I saw that he wore his lid as a hat on the cover of the second issue of Sesame Street Magazine, from 1970. I recently noticed that he also wore it like a hat when Mad Magazine spoofed Sesame Street as "Reality Street". I don't know what year or issue that's from (I've only seen it in "Mad About the Seventies"), but it looks like it was done during either the second or third season.

Usually if I draw Oscar in his trash can I draw it like it is shown on TV, with the lid up (the exception being if I'm drawing Bruno and Oscar, to which I draw the lid hanging from the side of the can... I haven't seen many official illustrations of Bruno, and with the exception of the one in Caroll Spinney's autobiography all illustrations I've seen don't depict Oscar in the cans Bruno carries... If Bruno was in more illustrations I wonder if the lid would hang from the side or rest on Oscar's head). But until recently I didn't really notice any detail on the bottom of the lid (I'd been drawing the lid like a circle). I've been drawing Oscar quite a bit, with lid-bottom detail... And it does look a bit wrong.

Finally, I'd like to request a question for the "?" series, if the perosn who writes them is reading this: Why does Herry Monster wear pants while all the other monsters don't? Since he had contact with Joe Mathiew I'd expect it to be easy to get an answer, since Herry pretty much only wears pants in merchandise. But I could be wrong.

tutter_fan

Reaction score
I for one love this site, and I keep coming to it for any breaking news

Beauregard

Reaction score
I broke my news once and had to have it set in a cast...

Beauregard

Reaction score
I got all the signatures of the cast and crew, actually. Lucky!