The Mouse is Wooing Miss Piggy

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
I've got it the Roger shorts in a box around here somewhere. I wondered why that release was yanked away so quickly. I thought the Jessica debate was with the feature and not the shortsm though. Disney and Spielberg really had a terrible relationship and that's why I thought the tape was axed.
Going back into my vast knowledge of usless triva (which is slowly getting harder and harder to recall), I believe the tapes were recalled because some family friendly organization put up a big stink about Jessica. They claimed that she was inappropriate to be in cartoons marketed to children. Hence the tapes were pulled. The full length movie got into stink for a different Jessica problem (I'm sure you know about that one).

It's a shame really. Disney was moving towards producing more and more animated shorts, then suddenly they dropped the ball on it. These are classics in their own right, and I think it'll be a long time before we see the animation studios of any major company produce animated shorts (except for Pixar, who uses their shorts as grounds for experimenting with new techniques - i.e. Geri's Game with human characters, and the feathers in for the birds)

Muppets1985

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
I've got it the Roger shorts in a box around here somewhere. I wondered why that release was yanked away so quickly. I thought the Jessica debate was with the feature and not the shortsm though. Disney and Spielberg really had a terrible relationship and that's why I thought the tape was axed.

Thanx for the tidbit about Tail - I couldn't find that info. I wonder what I was thinking of.

From what i was told was that same thing "Disney and Steve having a bad relationship" good thing i got my tape, at the Disney back in 1995 when it was out the 3erd day in Febuary of 95, b/c i got it for my b-day. Roller Coaster Rabbit is the best one then Trail mix up then Tummy Trouble the video says its 25 mins long.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
nate

Family groups are so silly. Jessica is barely even in the shorts and kids see worse imagery on daytime television. How weird.

I do know the reason that future Roger projects have fallen through is directly related to Disney and Spielberg. Each short was to alternate appearance from a Disney produced film to an Amblin produced one and Disney kept breaking the rules: Tummy Trouble=Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Roller Coasterr Rabbit=Dick Tracy and Trail Miz Up=Cheetah (a film nobody saw and hasn't been heard from since).

I think a major factor into the decline of shorts is commerce. There's simply no money in it so companies don't make them and they take up time that can be spent promoting other films or products (I hate TV ads in movies). That being said, I hope they come back anyway.

radionate

Reaction score
Jamie,

Well I went home and watch the tape, and you were right (my hats off to you), Rob Minkoff directed Tummy Trouble and Roller Coaster Rabbit. He didn't direct, but executive produced, Trail Mix Up.

I had forgotten how great these shorts were. A real tip of the hat to the great directors of years gone by, especially Tex Avery. One could only imagine the stuff that would have come out had they continued the series. Not to mention the talent that could have been developed from the new guys that were working on these things. Sigh

And as far as Jessica goes, she is in each short for a matter of seconds (along with Droopy Dog!), and you are right, a lot worse is seen on TV. Although you have to admit some of her scenes in the shorts are kinda risque. The biggest flack is that the "Disney" name was attached to them. I still think they were fussing over nothing.

Maybe if they had been watching the background more, they would have caught some of the more classic and adult sight gags that are missed unless you watch in slow motion or repeatedly! (Just like the good ole Simpsons )

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, theatrical animated shorts are pure genius when done well. It's such a shame it's becoming a dying art form.

It was even great when Warner Brothers were celebrating the anniversary of Bugs Bunny awhile back (I believe 1990), and featured Looney Tunes cartoons in theaters for a year or so.

radionate

Reaction score
Hey Phillip,

It was Bugs' 50th Birthday. Not only did some great merchandise come out that year, but you are right, a lot of shorts where in the theaters. I remember getting so excited at the opening of Gremlins 2 when Daffy showed up on screen.

Chuck Jones also did a few new Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote shorts in the 90's as well.

I have a feeling its not quite a dying art form, but it is getting too close to its last breath. I've noticed more and more internet shorts in recent months. While many are nowhere near the quality of the classics, they are experimenting with styles and a few gems have surfaced. Especially Chuck Jones' Timber Wolf. Everyone needs to check it out if they haven't already.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that AMC cartoon shorts thing in the 90s was all too brief.

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Warner Brothers

The WB is making new shorts and a new movie "Looney Tunes:Back in Action co-starring Brendan Frasier (Mummy Series and George Of The Jungle).
See Toonzone.com for more info.

radionate

Reaction score
Re: Warner Brothers

Originally posted by Bean Bunny
The WB is making new shorts and a new movie "Looney Tunes:Back in Action co-starring Brendan Frasier (Mummy Series and George Of The Jungle).
See Toonzone.com for more info.
Somehow I'm able to keep my composure over that announcement...:rolleyes:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh, Nate - Brendan Frasier has been in so many beloved classics. :big_grin: I hope this doen'nt turn into another Space Jam, but who knows. The one thing that bugs me most (no pun intended) wth the WB characters these days is their voices. They really seem off to me. Does Noel Blanc still do them? I never found him to be that good of a mimic. I wnder if Sppedy will make an appearance.