The Jim Henson Company Puppets to perform at the 2011 Grammys

ploobis

Reaction score
I loved the performance!

I think the futuristic looking puppets were originally created for the "City Kids" series. It was great seeing Piddles too.

Magellan

Reaction score
I unfortunately didn't catch it on tv since I didn't realize it was going to be on but I just saw part of a very ghetto video clip of it on youtube and I really did think at first that Elton John had turned into a large black man and I was very confused. If anyone finds a better quality of the video please post the link.

TSSD

Reaction score
That still makes them Muppets irregardless if they can be legally refered to by that term or not.
He was just saying they weren't THE Muppets, the classic muppets that everyone thinks of when they hear the word "muppets".

Jedimasta

Reaction score
Since we're arguing semantics, it should be made clear that the use of the word Muppet here is correct. Saying the Muppets were involved doesn't limit the reference to only Kermit, Fozzie, Piggy etc.. as defined by the Henson Workshop: "Individually, a Muppet is made by Jim Henson or his company's workshop."

The performers at the Grammys were indeed Muppets by that definition, just as are the Skeksis, Ludo or the LaChoy Dragon from years ago. For that matter, it's got nothing to do with Disney either, at least to a certain extent. Muppets found on Sesame Street are separately owned and copyrighted by Sesame Workshop and The Jim Henson Company which are not part of the Disney family.

On a slightly unrelated note, the word "irregardless" is meaningless. Please stop using it. http://www.irregardless.org/ :wink:

mbmfrog

Reaction score
I must say Elton John must be surprised by the flattery he received by that performance.

Also, even if they aren't the actual Muppets, they're still Muppets regardless since they were created by the Jim Henson Company. :smile:

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I loved the performance!

I think the futuristic looking puppets were originally created for the "City Kids" series. It was great seeing Piddles too.
That's it! Thank you, Ploobis! By the way, you've officially got my favorite name on the Muppet Central boards! Awesome choice!

beaker

Reaction score
That still makes them Muppets irregardless if they can be legally refered to by that term or not.

But nonetheless, that was a pretty cool thing to watch, I'm not usually one to sit through award shows in their entirety, but seeing this was worth the watch, lol. I knew I saw Piddles the Pug in there amongst all the mayhem, lol.
I agree. I don't care if it's 1975 or 2075, non creature shop puppets from the Jim Henson Company will always be "Muppets" to most of us. I mean shoot, they use quite a number of Muppet puppets for Stuffed and Unstrung and the former Puppet Up.

beaker

Reaction score
Is it me or did the puppets seem like something out of The Jim Henson Hour? Woulda been cool if it had been some actual Muppet Show characters...but cool nonetheless

Since we're arguing semantics, it should be made clear that the use of the word Muppet here is correct. Saying the Muppets were involved doesn't limit the reference to only Kermit, Fozzie, Piggy etc.. as defined by the Henson Workshop: "Individually, a Muppet is made by Jim Henson or his company's workshop."

The performers at the Grammys were indeed Muppets by that definition, just as are the Skeksis, Ludo or the LaChoy Dragon from years ago. For that matter, it's got nothing to do with Disney either, at least to a certain extent. Muppets found on Sesame Street are separately owned and copyrighted by Sesame Workshop and The Jim Henson Company which are not part of the Disney family.
Preach it!

Land of Gorch, La Choy Dragon, Kermit the Frog, Wembley Fraggle, Telly Monster, Tutter Mouse, Mopatop, Hoobs, Animal Jam, Pajanimals, Puppet Up, Tinseltown...*ALL* Muppets as far as Im concerned. I would argue Dinosaur Train and Sid the Science Kid are not Muppets; same with creature shop fantasy puppets and animatronics. But I would say most of Jim Henson and Sesame Workshop could be considered Muppets(the species, not the "core" Muppet characters from the Muppet Show universe)

I've always see a giant "Hensonverse" ala Toon Town in Roger Rabbit that includes countless worlds and properties. But "The Muppets"(tm) would of course be the Muppet Show characters and universe.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I missed the first few minutes of the appearance (when they first came out), but from what I saw, it was alot of fun. And that HAD to be a tribute to the Elton John Muppet Show appearance. If it wasn't intentional, my goodness... lol Fun number though.