The j3h action figure photography, collection, display and whatever thread

j3h

Reaction score
Thanks everybody! I am honored that you guys think I'm in Dearth's class...Honestly, he absolutely owns the title of master of muppet custom projects and displays.

I know I've been away from the forum for quite some time, and probably won't get to be around too much for the immediate future either unfortunately for various reasons.

I haven't worked on anything new Muppet-wise lately, but will hopefully get back to it some time early next year.

I think I was supposed to post a few additional pirate themed pics, so let me throw those up here now (just noticed they were still on the camera)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Nice pics, but beware. One of them tried to infect my computer. It's probably a Photobucket problem. :eek:

j3h

Reaction score
Hey Hey action Figure forum gang!

Still not going to be able to post too regularly, but the photos that came out today from the Hollywoold Blvd shoot for the new film got my muppet mentality juiced...especially since it looks like in one of the shots my fav, UNCLE DEADLY, can be spotted. (also was twitter talking to MuppetWiki who knows someone who was at the shoot who reported back that not only was Uncle D there, but he has a solo line in the finale song)

Anyway...
heres a question for the customizers here (I'm hoping Dearth spots this and has a chance to reply, but I really do value everyone's opinion and welcome all input)...

When I watch the dvds of the Muppet Show, especially the opening & closing credits, I keep thinking "Man, if I had the time and the extra cash, I should make the purple tux Orch Pit band versions of the characters..."

So guys, how would you tackle such a project? Use the various existing "stepping out" bodies and try to best match sizes to the band members like Floyd, zoot, animal, Crazy Harry, etc. ? (if so, which ones match up the best for each? I'm thinking it would mostly be Gonzo and Beaker tux bodies as bases for most if going this route)

Or is there another base that would work best?
Is there a reasonably affordable way to take on such an endevor?

Thanks guys!
(and maybe old news, but I don't seem to be getting any issues from the photobucket pics as stated in the above post...hopefully it was just a one time thing back in sept, but I've checked and received no warnings.)

Dearth

Reaction score
I'm hoping Dearth spots this and has a chance to reply...
"You rang?"

"I should make the purple tux Orch Pit band versions of the characters..."
Yep, I've felt that exact same urge. It's particularly a Season One icon.

So guys, how would you tackle such a project? ... Is there a reasonably affordable way to take on such an endevor?
Well, it depends on how you approach it. It could be done with just Sculpey and paint over existing figures, but finding a Zoot you don't mind altering can be a bit problematic.

It never hurts to stockpile purple-tux Gonzos when you find them, though. Not only do you get the tux parts, you get the best-likeness Gonzo head for other custom projects fodder, and sometimes you get more chickens to populate your scenes. Win-win-win!

I've begun four purple-tux customs, but only completed one so far.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/imagep...hp?file=119278&imagewidth=922&imageheight=467

Visible in this group shot at far left, it's "proto-Strangepork" pig from Season One.

Relatively simple. A modified Strangepork head on a purple-tux Gonzo body, with some Scooter hands painted fleshtone.

The other three that I began are: Kermit, Crazy Harry, and Floyd.

My plan for Kermit was to repaint a regular tuxedo Kermit. I did some minor resculpting on torso details and a test of a maroon spray-paint before abandoning him. Eventually I'll dust him off and see if I can come up with a better approach, but I want to say the torso shape between him and Gonzo doesn't really work well for a swap.

Crazy Harry is also partially resculpted. The plan was to make the existing Harry arms and torso look more like a tux, and then add the 'vest' part of the Gonzo jacket over that.

Floyd is just a broken figure that came in a lot from eBay. I disassembled him and did a test-fit of the Gonzo jacket. As I recall, it will need to be re-tailored to fit him, and his arms/torso will have to be resculpted.

Those were the only ones I began, though there are several other possibilities.

I only have one Zoot, so unless I find a dirt-cheap broken one (like missing it's legs or something), I doubt I'll ever do a purple tux Zoot. Maybe someone should make a mold and recast his head?

Alex

Reactions: j3h

Dearth

Reaction score
Update:

I dug out my in-progress purple tux Crazy Harry and purple tux Kermit customs... Harry was a lot farther along than I remembered. All he needs is a bowtie and a coat of paint, and he's done.

I will add some photos of Harry and Kermit (and the partially disassembled Floyd) so you can see what kind of work is involved, but the website where I normally host my pics is having upload problems. Hopefully they'll get it ironed out soon.

Alex

j3h

Reaction score
hummm....
Thanks Dearth,
you've definately given me some food for thought.
when your hosting site gets it's issues resolved and you get the time, I look forward to seeing the pics you mentioned.

Dearth

Reaction score
http://threads.rebelscum.com/imagep...p?file=191725&imagewidth=1024&imageheight=401
This is Crazy Harry. I just did some minor resculpting with Super-Sculpey... smoothing out the sleeves, adding the buttons, giving him a stripe down the side of his pants, and changing his shirt-front. At right you can see how it will look with a Gonzo jacket.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/imagep...hp?file=191726&imagewidth=284&imageheight=487
A disassembled Floyd trying the same jacket on for a test-fit. So far I've only done minor work on the arms to remove the jagged-sleeve effect in the original sculpt. I wasn't going to alter the pants at all, since they already have a stripe.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/imagep...hp?file=191727&imagewidth=369&imageheight=433
And the same jacket on a modified Steppin' Out Kermit. You can see that it's really a horrible fit on the near globular Kermit torso. So I tried sculpting the details directly onto the torso, but I never did suss how to make the bottom of the jacket.

Alex

Dearth

Reaction score
Hey!

I located an old composition notebook in which I had scribbled many many ideas for Muppet customs. As I flipped through it, I was a bit embarassed at how many half-finished and never-begun concepts there were.

But one of the last entries was a brainstorm that I never did follow up on... for the purple tux Kermit, I doodled a sketch telling myself to test-fit of the skinnier torso of a trench-coat-less Reporter Kermit with the Gonzo tux jacket! The arms and legs would still be from a regular Steppin' Out tux Kermit.

I'll have to see if I've got an extra Reporter Kermit that I don't mind sacrificing for this idea.

Alex

j3h

Reaction score
Thanks!
And thank you for unearthing my old thread :smile:

I haven't done anything new in a long time with the Muppet figures, though earlier this year I did finally track down a club exclusive checkered suit "modern" gonzo for a reasonable-ish price. He has been a "holy grail" type for me for some time...I should take some new photos :wink: