The Food Thread (Non Instagram Edition)

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One tangent on pizza.

I saw a video by Company Man about Chef Boyardee.
There was a real Chef Hector Boiardi. Came overfrom Italy, at 17 was the head chef at the Plaza Hotel in New York, and his canned pasta helped feed the soldiers during WWII.

It would be pretty hard to find a kid who hasn’t had his ravioli, spaghetti, or Beefaroni.

But one huge miss was his attempt at pizza.
As much as I loved his overstuffed ravioli, his pizza was... nasty.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One thing I will say about local pizzerias (and/or local restaurants that have pizza on their menus) is that the pizzas certainly have more of an actual mucho-Italiano taste to them as opposed to the big chains like Domino's, Papa John's, Pizza Hut, and others.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That’s because local joints are family owned, and the pride comes through in the pizzas.
Around here are three local joints- Frank’s, Branda’s, and Vincenzo’s. Each of them only have one store, but generations of loyal customers. Each of them have been in their families for decades. Just concentrating on each individual pizza, rather than opening thousands of locations.

Frank’s has been in business in the same spot since 1969. Now Frank’s grandson Vito runs the place. Does his family proud.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
On the other hand, this old school Pizza Hut commercial is one of those things that really puts the ____ in food ____ (since the title of this thread was changed).

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I always loved the Sesame clip of pizza being made. It’s almost impossible to watch without getting hungry for a slice.

it’s unusual they put on whole slices of mozzarella. Shredded melts better.
Anchovies and mushrooms wouldn’t be my choice for toppings. But when he pulls it out of the oven, it looks so good you don’t care.

Tossing the dough is an art. There are a number of pizza places in New York where people on the street can look in the window and see the dough being tossed, and it’s showtime!
I’ve only tried it once, and it’s not as easy as it looks, stretching out the dough, spinning it, making it thinner without tearing.
It’s a New York custom to take a slice and fold it in half. The crust should be crisp enough you get a little Snap! That’s perfection.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Can easily say I will never buy these again. Ever.

These seriously made my blood pressure go drastically up. Not worth it.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
One tangent on pizza.

I saw a video by Company Man about Chef Boyardee.
There was a real Chef Hector Boiardi. Came overfrom Italy, at 17 was the head chef at the Plaza Hotel in New York, and his canned pasta helped feed the soldiers during WWII.

It would be pretty hard to find a kid who hasn’t had his ravioli, spaghetti, or Beefaroni.

But one huge miss was his attempt at pizza.
As much as I loved his overstuffed ravioli, his pizza was... nasty.
I’m not gonna lie, I’ve only had chef boyardee once in my life….. and that was Christmas 2017 when I was at my aunt and uncle’s house in NY. Was alright but honestly canned pasta is just…..:smirk:

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
One thing I will say about local pizzerias (and/or local restaurants that have pizza on their menus) is that the pizzas certainly have more of an actual mucho-Italiano taste to them as opposed to the big chains like Domino's, Papa John's, Pizza Hut, and others.
I’m not really picky on how pizza is culturally styled as long as it tastes good and satisfies my cravings. More often I’ve had pizza tastes more Greek than Italian.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I always loved the Sesame clip of pizza being made. It’s almost impossible to watch without getting hungry for a slice.

it’s unusual they put on whole slices of mozzarella. Shredded melts better.
Anchovies and mushrooms wouldn’t be my choice for toppings. But when he pulls it out of the oven, it looks so good you don’t care.

Tossing the dough is an art. There are a number of pizza places in New York where people on the street can look in the window and see the dough being tossed, and it’s showtime!
I’ve only tried it once, and it’s not as easy as it looks, stretching out the dough, spinning it, making it thinner without tearing.
It’s a New York custom to take a slice and fold it in half. The crust should be crisp enough you get a little Snap! That’s perfection.
I was a little intrigued seeing the whole slices of cheese put on….. but I mean, it looks to me like the cheese fully melted in the finalized look. And yeah the anchovies and mushrooms turned me away personally.

Any Del

Reaction score
What do you guys feel about Falafel? If anything the taste just really turns me off completely.