The Food Thread (Non Instagram Edition)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think we have a Macaroni Grill here, but never bothered trying them out.

Another place I never bothered with is Bonefish Grill, because . . . what a weird name for a restaurant . . . even their logo is a fish skeleton . . . not very appetitizing.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
A lot of Macaroni Grills closed. If you’ve eaten at Olive Garden, Macaroni Grill is a disappointment.
They did have a barbecue chicken pizza on the menu, which wouldn’t be my first thought at an Italian place, but hey.

One thing I did like. They had these big sheets of paper for your tablecloth. (Cheaper than linens).They gave you crayons to draw on them. I went to town making these cartoon masterpieces. I even signed one for a waitress. “Hold onto this. Someday I’ll be famous and this will be worth a million bucks!”

Imagine if I do become famous and she throws it away. She’ll be kicking herself over that! D’oh!!!!!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Mexican food deserves a shout out. Yes, I like ke Taco Bell as much as the next guy, but in my town is an authentic Mexican place called El Coyote.
One of their best dishes is chicken empanadas in a mole sauce. (Pronounced mo/lay). Mole is a spicy tomato sauce with chocolate. Yes, chocolate.
Before you turn up your nose, I encourage you to try it. A nice helping of rice and beans on the side (arroz y frijoles), you’re good to go.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even though I'm not a fan of Mexican food, there is one thing that always bothered me about "authentic" Mexican restaurant tacos: they never season the meat! Never! Even Taco Bell seasons the meat in their tacos, not to mention store-bought taco dinner kits come with seasoning packs for the meat. What's stopping Mexican restaurants from seasoning their meat? It makes for some pretty bland, tasteless tacos.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
In a lot of Mexican restaurants, they serve chili with beans on the side.
Like Chinese food, Mexico has various regions, and the cuisines vary as well.
In the Gulf Coast, there is more of a Caribbean influence than you’ll see in Juarez or Tijuana.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Mexican food is honestly my favorite kind of food.

Not even gonna lie, this segment always got me hungry:

My favorite mexican dishes are easily quesadillas and enchiladas. Also speaking of Taco Bell, to be honest I prefer going there when I’m stoned. Otherwise I can pass on their food.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'll admit there is some Mexican food that does look rather good, but again, it's all the spiciness and acidity that kills it for me.

Say @fuzzygobo, do you remember that bit from THE ODD COUPLE where Felix meets Oscar at a Mexican restaurant, and goes off on him about how Mexico never became a world power because of its food, the consumption of which will just worsen Oscar's ulcer, all the while in the background there was a fat Mexican guy who was obviously overhearing Felix's monologue, because the more he kept talking, the queasier the Mexican looked until he finally shoved his plate away from him and left his table holding his gut.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Snowth, I’m sorry but you fit the white people can’t handle spicy food stereotype. 😂

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I vaguely remember that. And it’s part of the perception Mexican equals spicy. That’s not always the case.

That’s like saying all Italian food has red sauce and mozzarella.