The Food Thread (Non Instagram Edition)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I find even IHOP can never seem to cook eggs right, nor Waffle House for that matter. This is why whenever I get breakfast in a restaurant, I tend to stick with some kind of fail-safe, like waffles, or maybe some blinzes/crepes. Maybe a side of bacon and toast.

Oh, and something else to steer clear of? Grits! Yes, that's right . . . here I am, a southern, a good ol' boy, a grubby, no-neck, toothless redneck . . . saying that grits are disgusting . . . because they are! It's like trying to ingest wet sand! Yuck! However, they've given us some of the greatest movie material in cinema history:

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
In my younger days, I used to eat McD’s like it was going out of business. It was cheap and easy to shove in my face. Then around my 30th birthday, I decided, I can’t eat this anymore.
I still eat it once in a blue moon, but I don’t pig out on it anymore. Love it or hate it, I still like the McRib, and their Sugar Free vanilla iced coffee. Yes, their scrambled eggs are cardboard, but it’s impossible to screw up coffee.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I find even IHOP can never seem to cook eggs right, nor Waffle House for that matter. This is why whenever I get breakfast in a restaurant, I tend to stick with some kind of fail-safe, like waffles, or maybe some blinzes/crepes. Maybe a side of bacon and toast.

Oh, and something else to steer clear of? Grits! Yes, that's right . . . here I am, a southern, a good ol' boy, a grubby, no-neck, toothless redneck . . . saying that grits are disgusting . . . because they are! It's like trying to ingest wet sand! Yuck! However, they've given us some of the great movie material in cinema history:
You must feel sorry for Roosevelt Franklin. In his song about the days of the week, the second verse goes,
“Woke up Tuesday morning and I ate my grits and eggs”.
Heaven help the fool.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The only time I ever go to IHOP is on national pancake day..... otherwise, I’m good with their food.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The nearest (and Northernmost) Waffle House is an hour South from here. We go there once in a while, and it’s not a trip, it’s a pilgrimage.
And one of the reasons I like it is because of the grits. I even make instant grits at home.
I know it’s not authentic, but it’s the closest I have.
When I visited my sister in Nashville back in 2012, we stopped at Waffle House and Hardee’s every chance we got, because we don’t have them up here. If we did we’d probably get tired of them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hardee's are closing around these parts for some reason lately.

Eh, no skin off my nose; never liked their food anyway.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
On the subject of breakfast, French toast deserves more love. Like I can tell you right off the bat there have been local diners I’ve gone to that make REALLY GOOD French toast.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know what it is about it, but I've never been too impressed with the taste of French toast.

On the subject of pancakes, the only pancakes I ever actually loved were those Lunchables pancakes that came out in the late 90s that came with syrup and frosting, but when it comes to real pancakes, again, not really a fan . . . at least not of plain, buttermilk pancakes. IHOP has some flavored pancakes I've tried that I find I can enjoy, such as red velvet, double chocolate chip, and cupcake (I just wish IHOP didn't do away with the cheese blintzes though).

Speaking of red velvet, I will say that I found it amusing over the years as red velvet began spreading to the rest of the country (usually during the Valentine's season, for some reason), because down here in the south, red velvet cake is actually quite a common dessert, and has been for ages.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Do you know where the coloring for red velvet cake comes from?

Beets.
Blintzes, my wife loves them, I like the cheese ones. I’ve never been too big on blueberries, whether it’s pancakes, waffles, blintzes, muffins, pie, or whatever. Too bad, because they’re high in antioxidants.
I loved pancakes as a kid. Aunt Jemima made a batter, all you had to do was pour it on a hot griddle and flip it once. Nowadays, if I went out for breakfast, I’d rather have an omelette.

As far as breakfast meats go, here’s my ranking from least to most favorite:
Ham
Bacon
Sausage (patties win out over links)
Taylor ham
Corned beef hash

Scrapple be banished.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Pancakes aren’t my first choice for breakfast, but I mean, if I’m really in the mood then I’ll make some. I dunno, I find they need to be eaten as fresh because they don’t make good left overs. :smirk: