The evolution of Bert & Ernie

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
He did?

That's nice to know. Maybe he will be available for some Piggy/Fozzie/Animal stuff in the future then.

I kind of saw him appearing as a director or something for a film, but was about to doubt he'd do any other performing with the Muppets.

That kind of gives me a slight hope, then.

However, those other performers do a swinging job; at least on Piggy, I've seen her lately.

Later,
FOZ

MIKEB97

Reaction score
Yup. it was Frank performing our beloved furry blue friends, grover and Cookie in "letter of the day". What's Piggy's voice like? I've read posts on other groups that frank's voice was was looped a couple of times. What does looping voices mean and why did Frank loop some of his voices in recent years?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Muppets from Space is a good example of Looping.

They have stand-in performers who do the "voices" and puppetry for a character, then, somewhere else, Oz would record the lines.

In editing, they will replace the "non-Oz" Piggy voice with his recorded lines.

I think that's how it works.

FOZ

MIKEB97

Reaction score
Wow. I read that Oz just did Cookie's voice in Elmo in Grouchland. Was it looped?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Frank's Performing with the Muppets

I am sad to see him is quazi-retirement. He did such a wonderful job. But if you think about it, would you like to have the same job from the time you were a teenager. Sure, it was a labor of love in a way, but it's still a whole lot of work and after Jim died his characters just didn't seem to have the same chemistry.

Eric Jacobson and David Rudman are doing a spectacular job. An even more seamless transition than Steve's Kermit. It would be great if Oz would come back, but since they have replaced his characters I hope they will maintain the continuity of voice and performance and stick with David and Eric. I see Frank dropping in here and there to be distracting to the audience. At least as far as Muppet Show characters are concerned. I don't mind as much with Sesame Street because they mix in classc sketches that will have Frank's voice anyway.

Just my 2 cents. I know it sounds like heresy, but he's already given us so much joy. After seeing the amazing new chemistry between Kermit and Piggy, I am glad to see the characters are in good hands!:smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
"In good hands!!!" HAA!

Wish I could think of funny jokes like that one. Where's Gags Beasely when you need him??

FOZ

Censored

Reaction score
Cool. I've been very interested in the evolution of all the Sesame Street muppets and the reasons behind the changes. I wonder how often they changed the actual muppet and how often they just changed the facial parts. I think the muppets kind of "wear out" after a while and have to be replaced. For that matter, I wonder how many muppets share their heads and bodies with others. Probably more than we realize. If anyone has this information, I would appreciate it.

:stick_out_tongue: :frown: :grouchy: :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think "Fat Blue" is used extensively, with different facial features added to the body. The Anything Muppets are the ones who likely appear more often than not.

I used to think Count and Mumford were the same puppet; and I still wonder if Prairie Dawn isn't used for different characters, too, just remove the dress, wig, and eyes...

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think this happens alot. Guy Smiley and Don Music were the same puppet, for example.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
One step further where those two were the same puppet pattern, Guy Smiley sometimes was used as Prince Charming, wasn't he?