The driving experiences thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
After finally getting my license at age 28, I feel I would create a thread all about driving and anything related to it. Whether getting your first license, your first car, or first road rage incident, if it's related to cars, it's all good here.

I can safely say that the road test was a piece of cake compared to the written test. I got a few points off for going a little too slow (even though I was at the speed limit! :frown:) and one improper turn, but other than that I got it. That 4-way stop I had trouble with before (I went out on the road as opposed to a driving course) was no problem, made easier by the fact that traffic was light.

We also have a '97 Camry with over 150,000 miles on it, and it clearly shows its age. Peeling paint, one missing taillight cover, and a busted rear door handle, but other than that it's got that Toyota reliability to it. I hope to make it an even 200k! :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Back in February, I had my first "accident" in that I actually backed into somebody. While it was mostly my fault, because it was the one moment I didn't look in the rear view mirror andj ust assumed behind me was clear, somebody else was to blame: the idiot who was coming out the wrong way, prompting me to back up and let him keep coming out.

Also, people in my town don't seem to understand right-of-way. One time at an intersection, I was going straight, and the driver on the other side was going to turn left: now as the law states, the person going straight has the right-of-way. So, when the light turned green, when both ended up pulling out at the same time, then she starts yelling at me as if I cut her off, though I had the right-of-way. She must have been a big hurry, because she zoomed off after that.

Oh, and you also have to be careful of pedestrians, because they always cross against the lights, and there's been a time or two where I nearly ran into somebody because they were crossing against the lights.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There are a few cars (Camry's included) you keep changing the oil regularly, they'll run for years.Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Nissan Altima or Sentra. Treat them right, they'll do the same for you.

Never had much luck with Fords (trucks yes, cars no). Ford stands for Fixed Or Repaired Daily, or Found On Road Dead.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Driving experience? I have none. But I do know that i've nearly been hit by cars at least three times while riding my bike.
Say, you haven't visited North Texas by any chance have you, Snowthy? :wink:

mr3urious

Reaction score
Driving experience? I have none. But I do know that i've nearly been hit by cars at least three times while riding my bike.
Were you using the bike lanes? If so, then screw those drivers who think they own the road just because they can't handle a couple of feet being taken from them. :mad:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Were you using the bike lanes? If so, then screw those drivers who think they own the road just because they can't handle a couple of feet being taken from them. :mad:
Well one time, I was using the bike lane and than some guy just speeds up behind me and honks the horn at me like it's my fault I was in his way. But the other two times were completely my fault because I didn't look where I was going while crossing the street.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We have bike lanes throughout town, however, they're not enough: there's a large number of people who like to ride bikes throughout town (heck, every Christmas, they block off various streets in town for Tour de Lights), so you never know when you'll see someone peddling away on a main road - impeding traffic along the way.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
im 24 and still dont have my license. Why?

Because so far I've had three panic attacks while driving with my dad in the car. He's had to drive us home because i couldn't calm down and could see because i was crying and hyperventilating.

I'm kinda scared to be on the road now.

ShMuppetgal96

Reaction score
I'm in no hurry to get my license, but it would probably help since I want to go for job applications and auditions for shows!

It's also because of nerves too I suppose- I never want to practice so I'm wasting my permit away...then again if I ever did want to I couldn't cause my parents are the only ones with cars and always have other plans