The Dark Knight thread.

karamazov80

Reaction score
Pretty awesome that James (Aliens) Cameron and Christopher (Memento) Nolan made the top 2 domestically grossing movies ever. Then, Sam (Evil Dead) Raimi and Peter (Frighteners) Jackson also have movies in the top 10. Whoda thunk the U.S. people had such terrific taste in directors? :big_grin:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I thought Star Wars Episode One beat Titanic for the number one spot? :confused:

Anyway, I finally saw The Dark Knight. It is the best Batman movie/production EVER! Like prawnie said before, the Joker performance deserves an Oscar.

The film sort of sets up the Joker's return. I hope that they don't bring him back. I couldn't picture anyone else playing that character, at least not in this series. I like the idea of him being behind future villains, but I wouldn't want to see the character return to the screen.

I could kinda see that. I think Angelina Jolie would work well as Catwoman. Perhaps a much darker version of Catwoman than we've seen previously, as with the Joker. Phillip Seymour Hoffman would be great as the Penguin. I never really liked the Penguin, but Hoffman would be great there. Johnny Depp as the Riddler? ... Hmm. It'd work. Some of his characters seem to have a very innocent side to them (Corpse Bride, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Edward Scissorhands) and I don't think that would work with this Batman series.
Glad you liked Dark Knight! I was wired for hours after seeing it. A fantastic film.

Box office grosses are funny. It's nice to see things received well by others so I track the grosses for that reason. Wish I had a piece of this action! www.boxofficemojo.com is where I go to get the most up to date figures.

:search: Funny enough, the original Star Wars fares better than Episode One in most areas. Domestic scores have Star Wars at #3 while Ep 1 is at #6, adjusted for inflation Star Wars is firmly at #2 while Ep 1 is all the way at #19, but worldwide grosses have Star Wars at #26 while Ep 1 is at #8. Nobody has figured the worldwide inflation adjustments (that would be a task).

It's fun to chart how well the Muppet films did over at that site. TMM was a pretty good hit for 1979 raking in $65.2 million. :smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Yeah, I looked up The Muppet Movie right after looking at The Dark Knight on that site. :smile:

By the way, this is what Christopher Nolan said about the Penguin: "I'd be more excited to have Philip Seymour Hoffman in the film than to have the Penguin. There are certain characters that are easier to mesh with the more real take on Batman we're doing. The Penguin would be tricky."

Johnny Depp as the Riddler rumors are all over the place! :stick_out_tongue: But with no source.

There are lots of Angelina Jolie rumors that I found, and at least one rumor that Maggie Gyllenhaal will be Catwoman. Supposedly, she and Aaron Eckhart signed on for two Batman movies, but I'm pretty sure that's just a rumor, too.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think tis Muppet movie will be the biggest yet! So "The dark Night" was finally dethroned form it's number one spot by "Tropic Thunder".

Count von Count

Reaction score
I just saw The Dark Kight In a Drive-in. Yes a Drive-in.

The movie was alsome! The Jocker was not creepy He just made you think, that's what I think.

If some-one can help me, I want a Jocker Card (like one in the movie), I also want a 2-face coine. Thanks.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I just saw The Dark Kight In a Drive-in. Yes a Drive-in.

The movie was alsome! The Joker was not creepy He just made you think, that's what I think.

If some-one can help me, I want a Jocker Card (like one in the movie), I also want a 2-face coine. Thanks.
That must have been an interesting experience! :smile:

The Joker represented pure chaos in TDK. The character was void of human emotions - not even bad emotions like greed motivated this character. He's merely chase and destroy. That's what I found creepy. How do you deal with a criminal like that - especially when you have a moral code like Batman? Some audience members have had trouble with that element because we like things to be clean cut and this character was just so messy. :crazy:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Yeah. And to see this Joker mess up Harvey Dent enough to make him become Two-Face...wicked. XD

As to the card and coin, Count Von Count, I have the latter, but not the former. Of course, I got this by chance. *flips said coin in the air*

Super Scooter

Reaction score
SOME SPOILERS​
That must have been an interesting experience! :smile:

The Joker represented pure chaos in TDK. The character was void of human emotions - not even bad emotions like greed motivated this character. He's merely chase and destroy. That's what I found creepy. How do you deal with a criminal like that - especially when you have a moral code like Batman? Some audience members have had trouble with that element because we like things to be clean cut and this character was just so messy. :crazy:
"...he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

"I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! You know, I just do things."

That makes him such a great character. He has no motive. He just does it! I can't think of any other film that would even try something like that. Most villains are out for power or money or even think they're doing something good, such as in Batman Begins. Here you have someone who simply enjoys the chaos, and what will happen because of it.

I liked that Heath Ledger studied "The Killing Joke" for his creation of the character, and how a lot of the Joker from that comic ended up on screen. The constant contradiciton in everything he does (such as his conflicting backstories and his comment "If you're good at something, never do it for free?" ... and then he does it for free!). I like how they incorporated a lot of that comic into his character.