The Dark Knight thread.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Batman survived (IMO) because he was wearing the suit. Dent presumably suffered a more fatal injury. This is only my opinion. It makes for a more powerful ending (again, IMO), with Batman assuming full responsibility, and living the life of a fugitive (at least until the next movie). It never actually crossed my mind that Harvey was merely unconscious.
Well to be honest Tony when I initially saw it (SPOILER) even my first reaction was that Two-Face had surely been killed. It wasn't until I read others reviews and speculations that I thought "Hmm. This could maybe be looked at in a different subtle hidden perspective." Even if Two-Face isn't immediately brought back you can decide for yourself what really happened to him. To be fair, at least we can say there was nothing like something sharp sticking out of his chest that he may have landed on to dispell such debate. And yes, you can also argue that Batman's suit may have protected him from serious fatal injury. But for me this is part of the fun of it. We can enjoy the future movies while pondering to ourselves whether Two-Face can actually come back or not.:big_grin:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
In fact even R'as Al Ghul can technically be brought back for a sequel. For even though I understand (SPOILER ALERT FOR BATMAN BEGINS THOUGH MOST OF YOU HAVE LIKELY SEEN IT) that he is killed, according to the Batman comics, he can always potentially be resurrected by means of the magic power of the Lazarus Pit.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
It wasn't until I read others reviews and speculations that I thought "Hmm. This could maybe be looked at in a different subtle hidden perspective."
True. I mean, I've read reviews on other sites that have this exact same debate: is he, or isn't he? Some believe strongly that Dent perished; others passionately believe that he's alive. I may have to look at the paperback novelization to see if there are any additional clues, or a definitive answer (although I know these books are sometimes based on earlier drafts of the screenplay).

Heck, early word was that Dent would either (a) NOT become Two-Face in TDK, or (b) he would become Two-Face at the very end of the film, setting him up as the main villain in the third installment.

There were also early rumors that the Joker and Scarecrow would team up, that Scarecrow would provide the face-paralyzing nerve gas the Joker sprays on his foes.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I've heard Johnny Depp's name tossed about for the Riddler next time out, but that's just another rumor. I doubt he'd do Nolan's Batman considering his long relationship with Burton.

Nolan has been very gracious when asked about Burton's first two Batman films but there's been only silence on Tim Burton's end. While I enjoy much of Burton's work he comes off as another rather arrogant genius. I'm still disturbed by his boastful statement of never having read a comic book and scoffing at the idea of ever doing so. As with many artists he's one that I have to appreciate his work while dismissing the rest. I am looking forward to his Alice in Wonderland picture. I just hope he doesn’t have the Cheshire Cat kill Alice’s parents.

Back to Nolan's Batman. So, there have been rumors of Johnny Depp for the Riddler, Phillip Seymour Hoffman for Penguin and Angelina Jolie for Catwoman as one or more possible inclusions for the next film. Has anyone heard of other casting choices?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Didn't know about the Riddler PEZ, although there were some early rumors that he would appear in TDK; the imdb (I know, not the world's most reliable source) even had Anthony Michael Hall credited as Edward Nygma while the film was still in production.

The Batman Pez are as follows.

A New (blueish) Batman on a silver stem, A Riddler, a Joker, and a TwoFace.

Plus, those are 3 out of the 5 iconic Batman villains (Catwoman and Penguin would round that out).

Back to Nolan's Batman. So, there have been rumors of Johnny Depp for the Riddler, Phillip Seymour Hoffman for Penguin and Angelina Jolie for Catwoman as one or more possible inclusions for the next film. Has anyone heard of other casting choices?
Well, I feel Johnny's in everything, and would rather see someone lesser known pull off the role. Ditto with Angelina. I don't really know about someone that big being in the films... it almost harks back for casting Ahnold as Mr. Freeze... big mistake. Plus, I really think Cats should be worked in really slowly if anything. But I would love Hoffman as the Pengun, provided he plays him as a wealthy seminormal person that happens to be above the law. I don't want to see anything like Batman Returns here. it wouldn't fit. Much as I like those ones too.

peyjenk

Reaction score
I can almost see the name "The Penguin" as a codename for a mobster, crime boss, sneak thief, etc., with the police, Batman, and media all trying to find out who the Penguin is... only to discover that it is the new multi-millionaire in town.

Of course, that should be more of a subplot, but it would work with Nolan's films better than freaky sewer-man or rich umbrella afficianado.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
The 29th biggest movie in the history of Cinema not adjusted for inflation. Just five places shot of "The Crystal Skulls" spot.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I always find it confusing breaking down film grosses because of all the variables, but here goes with the estimates to date:

ALL TIME BOX OFFICE:

WORLDWIDE GROSSES
29- The Dark Knight $735.0 (#1 Titanic $1,842.9)

DOMESTIC GROSSES -most industry people reference this figure
02- The Dark Knight $471.5 (#1 Titanic $600.7)

DOMESTIC w/ INFLATION*
39- The Dark Knight $471.5 (#1 Gone with the Wind $1,430.4)

So future advertising for The Dark Knight will likely cite it as the second largest motion picture.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
ALL TIME BOX OFFICE:

WORLDWIDE GROSSES
29- The Dark Knight $735.0 (#1 Titanic $1,842.9)

DOMESTIC GROSSES -most industry people reference this figure
02- The Dark Knight $471.5 (#1 Titanic $600.7)
I thought Star Wars Episode One beat Titanic for the number one spot? :confused:

Anyway, I finally saw The Dark Knight. It is the best Batman movie/production EVER! Like prawnie said before, the Joker performance deserves an Oscar.

The film sort of sets up the Joker's return. I hope that they don't bring him back. I couldn't picture anyone else playing that character, at least not in this series. I like the idea of him being behind future villains, but I wouldn't want to see the character return to the screen.

frogboy4 said:
I could kinda see that. I think Angelina Jolie would work well as Catwoman. Perhaps a much darker version of Catwoman than we've seen previously, as with the Joker. Phillip Seymour Hoffman would be great as the Penguin. I never really liked the Penguin, but Hoffman would be great there. Johnny Depp as the Riddler? ... Hmm. It'd work. Some of his characters seem to have a very innocent side to them (Corpse Bride, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Edward Scissorhands) and I don't think that would work with this Batman series.