The dark day of Valentines Day is upon us...

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
I never had a problem with Valentines Day and I never even had a girlfriend.
You don't have to focus on romantic love just 'cause that's what others are doing. Just think about all the other people and things you love. If the day means anything to you then why not send your sibling a Valentines card, go out with your friends. Just take the time to appreciate love. There's lots of different kinds of love.
Truer words have never been said.

Though I still don't really care for Valentine's Day all that much.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
For anyone who has ever been dumped, jilted, or hates this Valentine business, may I serve up a helping of Broken Hearted Lovers' Stew:

And there's a heartache, a memory, and just a tear or two
In the broken hearted lovers' stew.

There's 20 carrots, to remind me of the ring I bought for you
A mint, for all the crazy things we meant to do
A lettuce, 'cause your mom and dad would not let us alone
I won't put in the truffles, you've got truffles of your own.

An artichoke, for the hearty jokes your father used to tell
And as he was a Welshman, we'll add a leek as well
And your cousin, the religious one, so sanctimonious
For him, some loaves and fishes, 'cause it's all he ever does

There is a radish,'cause you kept repeating that your love was true
A beet root, for the times I said that I'd be true to you
Some shallots, for the times I said I love you such a lot
Some capers, to remind me of what up to which we got

A turnip, for the way you always used to turn up late
A melon, for the melancholy way I used to wait
A chili, for how I felt while I waited for you
And a marrow to remind me of what I was frozen to

And there's a heartache, a memory, and just a tear or two
In the broken hearted lover's stew, **** YOU!! 8)

Convincing John

Reaction score
Guess I'm back to square one again with Valentine's Day...

Without going into a lot on here, I filed for divorce during the summer. All that's left now is boxes of my soon-to-be-ex's stuff lumped in the second bedroom, waiting for some movers to come pick it up. I'll have a couple of meetings with my lawyer, more paperwork and...it'll probably be all said and done near the end of February...maybe March.

So, I'm back to being alone again. It's weird still being legally married on Valentine's Day, but even weirder a few months back when it was technically our anniversary, but it wasn't acknowledged.

It also seems strange that although my marriage began in hope and with a celebration, it's ending with paying the meter outside of a lawyer's office, filling out forms in a claustrophobic office, then waiting 30 days while doing normal day-to-day stuff. The finale of my marriage will be an envelope from some judge I'll never meet in person.

True, all that paperwork & stuff is necessary for a divorce, yet it's quite the contrast to what happened over five years ago. At the beginning of my marriage, a crowd of people witnessed me in formal wear. There was cake, a fancy dinner, music, etc. At the ending, it will be just me in normal clothes, checking the mailbox just like any other normal day. It reminds me of my last day of high school (not graduation, just school days). Our class got out a week before everyone else's. After 13 years of school and it all ended with handing in my last textbook to the teacher and shuffling out the door like Beauregard.

Valentine's Day will be just another workday for me. At least I'm keeping busy that day. Helps the time go by.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Man, I'm sorry. I hate to see any marriage bust up. I really must've beaten the odds, my wife and I have been together 17 years. Not without struggles, not without a few spats, but we made it.
Valentine's Day isn't that big a deal for us either. Maybe get a small box of chocolates, but nothing huge. My wife's birthday is the week after, and that's a bigger deal to us.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Thanks. Things had been going downhill for a while anyway. Better to just end it before things got worse. I've known married couples who've screamed and fought for years (or just became bored with each other, but just lived under the same roof). What's the point in having a marriage like that?

I'm glad your marriage has lasted 17 years! Congrats! No, it's not always easy, but I hear it's worth it.

In today's world where everyone rushes around & works like crazy to pay bills and raise kids, I wonder who has the time or money anymore to go out to eat on Valentine's Day or have a romantic, worry-free weekend getaway. Sometimes it is best just to have something small.

This isn't really Valentine's Day related, but the typical huge breakfast shown in "part of a complete breakfast" cereal commercials baffles me in the same way. Who has time to eat all that every morning? Everyone I know drinks coffee and eats doughnuts or power bars like Cookie Monster as they rush to work.

Don't get me wrong. It's awesome if someone wants to surprise their sweetie with a Valentine's Day breakfast in bed with juice, toast, cereal, OJ, milk, eggs, etc...but you better have the day off to eat it and clean up afterwards.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Do you know what my wife likes? When I take the day and do stuff she normally does. Sometimes breakfast in bed (I cook for a living. Occupational hazard.) But she thinks it's wonderful when I make the bed, do the laundry, vacuum, all that fun domestic stuff.
That's bigger than any diamond ring or bouquet of flowers.

Flowers are overrated. Pretty, but die way too fast.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I honestly don't mind Valentine's Day too much, because frankly even many couples find it to be a pain in the a**, lol. The needless stress of finding a gift, the hour wait at restaurants. It's all of the stress of Christmas, with none of the holiday cheer, lol.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Spending another day of Valentine's day alone and depressed going to the bar and you know what? That's fine with me.

I got better things to worry about.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
At this point in my life, I've stopped caring about Valentine's day. I'm probably never gonna date anyone given my extreme repulsion to physical contact anyway.

My parents will probably give me a box of chocolate out of pity and I am 100% ok with that. Free chocolate.