The Classic Electric Company Memories Thread

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
One segment that really gets me laughing is the one where a man tells a woman that she is eating like a pig, and the commenter is actually wearing a pig mask, and the end of segment sting made it sound funny.

I also get a rise out of a segment where a man refuses to use bags and places his purchased items in his pockets instead. Then, when he was given a paper bag, he put it over his head. Even though he was at the checkout and paying for his purchases, it could be perceived as shoplifting. I found it funny, nonetheless.

Are both the "pig" and "pockets" segments on YouTube or anywhere?

I also remember a Spiderman segment where he tries to defeat the Sandman, and when the villain intrudes on a dance party, the funky music heard in the background was the same one heard in the "Letter R Car Repair" cartoon segment on "Sesame Street". I wonder if such background music originated on the aforementioned letter R segment on Sesame Street or the Spiderman segment?

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
One segment that really gets me laughing is the one where a man tells a woman that she is eating like a pig, and the commenter is actually wearing a pig mask, and the end of segment sting made it sound funny.

I also get a rise out of a segment where a man refuses to use bags and places his purchased items in his pockets instead. Then, when he was given a paper bag, he put it over his head. Even though he was at the checkout and paying for his purchases, it could be perceived as shoplifting. I found it funny, nonetheless.

Are both the "pig" and "pockets" segments on YouTube or anywhere?

I also remember a Spiderman segment where he tries to defeat the Sandman, and when the villain intrudes on a dance party, the funky music heard in the background was the same one heard in the "Letter R Car Repair" cartoon segment on "Sesame Street". I wonder if such background music originated on the aforementioned letter R segment on Sesame Street or the Spiderman segment?
I believe it showed up on Sesame Street first. But some of the musical cues from Sesame ended up on TEC as well.
With Joe Raposo contributing to both CTW productions, there is some crossovers here and there.

I always liked the skit of Morgan Freeman sitting in a tub (or is it a tube?), and at the end playing with a rubber duckie. Shades of Ernie.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
The one thing I hated about the "Spidey vs. the Sandman" sketch was in the last panel of the story in which Spiderman's eyes were a solid black instead of white with a thick dark outline. I really found that creepy, to be honest. Yet a black eye in comic books, the result of bullying, didn't bother me one bit.

It seems as if Spiderman, on TEC, was involved in heroic feats, only to end up in situations he didn't want to be in, in the end. There was one sketch where he ended up in prison after defeating the Fox; and after he captured the Birthday Bandit, he ended up celebrating the remainder of his birthday "in his birthday suit" (actually, a robe and pajamas, and barefoot), doing laundry.

I did learn that Oscar the Grouch did cross over to TEC, but I never saw it in the final two seasons. I even heard rumor that Grover may have appeared on TEC - is that true?

Last edited:

Katzi428

Reaction score
I remember this as sure as I’m sure as I’m sitting here. The magic of chroma-key. So cute with both Jim Boyds sleeping with their teddy bears. Neat stuff!
I saw it , and my thought to myself "YAY! Another missing clip from the holy grail! " :excited:

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I never knew Irene Cara was a member of The Short Circus. She would later have a big number one hit song from the film "Flashdance".

Cara was perhaps the only Short Circus member to later have top 40 hits on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

I read about Denise Nickerson's death just now. Was she the only Short Circus member to pass away at this point? Somehow I am getting vibes that at least one other member left us.

Last edited:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The only other Short Circus member who passed away was Gregg Burge (Dwayne). He was on in Season 3 replacing Douglas Grant.

I was four when Denise Nickerson joined and fell hard for her. It was too bad she only lasted one season.

Katzi428

Reaction score
The only other Short Circus member who passed away was Gregg Burge (Dwayne). He was on in Season 3 replacing Douglas Grant.

I was four when Denise Nickerson joined and fell hard for her. It was too bad she only lasted one season.
Douglas Grant (Zachary) passed away a year or so ago.