The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's probably most likely true. But I can't help but feel that in the long run that substance will always win out over nonsense. It's just a back and fourth kind of thing.
But, unfortunately, we'll have to ride this idiotic fad until some network exec has the grapes to find a cartoon series and run with it, dethrowning this sort of crap. Until now, the only cartoon competition was low quality garbage like "My Gym Partners a Monkey." No wonder why CN can't get dencent ratings.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, when they did the cartoon block thing it was the belief that if you put good animation and a good budget behind it, then you'll come out with quality product that people will like and want to whats. Now the thought process seems to be cheep shows + target at kids=big bucks. It makes me with that John Lasseter weer in charge of their television division or something...:stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, when they did the cartoon block thing it was the belief that if you put good animation and a good budget behind it, then you'll come out with quality product that people will like and want to whats. Now the thought process seems to be cheep shows + target at kids=big bucks. It makes me with that John Lasseter weer in charge of their television division or something...:stick_out_tongue:
Well, it's more like, Cheap kid's cartoons because there's no point in actually trying hard to get ratings anymore, since :

1- the FCC let companies buy up as many networks and local stations as possible.

2- to let this slip by, they put some limitiation on junk food marketting during kids shows- which while a pure sounding idea- made kid's programming virtually unprofitable.

3- as such, the only profits to be had are shows based on (or that ammount to) toy lines. And we really don't have anything that successful, since kids just don't have the money to buy toys anymore.

and 4- Disney has a couple one time hits that somehow win in the ratings. Mainly because we're in this whole race to grow up fad, and cartoons are considered Kiddy stuff.

But Spongebob is still doin' alright for himself. I still have high hopes for Spectacular Spider-man... but ironically, TMNT is doing slightly better in the ratings, opposite its time slot.

that said, we can't have local reruns of TV cartoons anymore. Prime time to have put Alvin and the Chipmunks reruns on TV. Even the Alvin show. I mean, they're not exactly going to hit DVD anytime soon.

Can you say "lost oppertunity".

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, that's all good an well. But but it's too dab that toon are considered kiddy fare. They could at least have quality toon on there own channel like they used too. Even Toon Disney is not what they used to be. And syndication on cable isn't what it once was either, hint cartoon network.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even Toon Disney is not what they used to be. And syndication on cable isn't what it once was either, hint cartoon network.

Eck. Toon Disney is nothing more than the shows they used to air on ABCFamily, before Disney said, "HEy! We may be able to buy up as many networks as we want, but we don't want to compete with ourselves." So, they moved the Saban produced shows they just came under ownership of to that network, half and halfing it with Toon Disney's line up. But props to them for getting Pinky and the Brain, Batman TAS, and Superman TAS. (especially since Cartoon Network doesn't want to air cartoons anymore).

But enough of that.

unclematt

Reaction score
What do you mean cartoon network doesnt want to air cartoons anymore

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What do you mean cartoon network doesnt want to air cartoons anymore
Well, why else are they trying to "boost" their ratings by playing, airing, creating their own live action shows and movies?

It's kind of like how TV Land doesn't want to air classic series anymore because they've been trying to "boost" their ratings with their own original reality series that have nothing to do with television.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
TV Land's rating are going to continue to decrease if they really do add Hogan's Heroes and [scrubs] to their summer lineup.

unclematt

Reaction score
Why would scrubs even go to TV land. I could see Scrubs on Nick at Nite but not ot TV Land