The Chipmunks' Triumphant Return

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have always felt that television is more of a woman's medium while film is very male-dominated. I'm not talking actor-wise, but substance. I feel that's why there's such a growing reality television culture. It's mainly marketed to women. And then there's daytime television, of course. But hour-long drama with season-long stories and even family sitcoms (that still usually focus on the wife's perspective at home) are geared toward the woman of the household.

Young males and what would appeal to them is what drives the majority of the box office. That, in part, is why there's been a steady decline in ticket sales over the past few years. Guys are staying home playing video games!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have always felt that television is more of a woman's medium while film is very male-dominated. I'm not talking actor-wise, but substance. I feel that's why there's such a growing reality television culture. It's mainly marketed to women. And then there's daytime television, of course. But hour-long drama with season-long stories and even family sitcoms (that still usually focus on the wife's perspective at home) are geared toward the woman of the household.

Young males and what would appeal to them is what drives the majority of the box office. That, in part, is why there's been a steady decline in ticket sales over the past few years. Guys are staying home playing video games!
Then how come I'd rather watch TV, than head out to the theater to see a movie?

Teheheman

Reaction score
The thing about that is that there are so few female sitcom characters that work now-in-days. I mean, it's all in the audience and what's popular and the thing is that I don't think that sitcoms are as popular as what they used to be. Sitcoms have the same tired formula that the genres almost gone. Sure, there are a FEW sitcoms still out there, but the character of the sitcom is pretty much "fat, idiot husband and thin hot looking wife living together" and it's getting to be a little too obvious. There are a slim amount of different ones(The format of friends helping each other through life, total opposites working together, etc.) but the amount of good sitcoms where you have a good comedic woman are gone. The role of the woman now is the straight woman while the man is the comedic foil. Which is probably why females are more into TV than men are. Men are tired of being portrayed as the idiot. They'd rather watch the man be the action star or what-not where they can put themselves into the role of the heroic man. That's just my opinion.

Daniel

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have always felt that television is more of a woman's medium while film is very male-dominated. I'm not talking actor-wise, but substance.
That's probably true, and yes I wouldn't say actor-wise either. Because studies often show that women prefer watching male characters more than females. (That's been true of me definitely! However, I also believe there are very few decent women characters to choose from. The Golden Girls was clever and hilarious and proved women could be funny. Sadly, this has not entirely been repeated in future years.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Then how come I'd rather watch TV, than head out to the theater to see a movie?
Maybe it's your feminine side? He he. No, I'm not talking in the realm of absolutes. My post didn't say all television is for women, simply that a majority of non-sport entertainment programs are geared to a female demographic. Soaps, talk shows, judge shows during the day, homemaker sitcoms (that never seem to go out of style), hour long dramas (Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, and even the forensic shows have built in components directed at the female audience), reality programs highly focused on relationships and emotional connections, and other programs consider women's viewership paramount to the projects rather than the majority of film offerings. Sure, guys certainly like some of these projects too and it doesn't threaten one's masculinity to enjoy them. It appears that in the typical household, the man of the house might hold the remote, but the woman of the house still has control over it.

One program that I particularly enjoy these days (on hold now since the writers' strike) is Heroes, and even that has built-in appeal for women with strong characters. There are some storylines that aren't as appealing to a male audience, but these are alternated so much that there's something for almost everybody.

In closing, TV's market is aggressively driven by what appeals to the female palette. Unfortunately this does not mean female characters. That's what Lifetime Network is for. It's also geared to kids, of course, like much of entertainment these days.

And, since this is the Chipmunks' thread: $176,738,000 domestic to date in just four weeks of release. This means big things for the little guys. For better or for worse - they're back. I'm happy.

Telly

Reaction score
I'm happy, too! Hopefully this means merchandise! I need me some stuffed animals of the lil' critters!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm happy, too! Hopefully this means merchandise! I need me some stuffed animals of the lil' critters!

I really wanted to see that too. Like a few plush, a happy meal.. but something that looks like the classic 50's characters or the 1980's characters. Maybe later on, we'll see something. I just don't think even they thought the film would do that well.

I will say this. I kinda feel silly now being upset they looked like a boy band. I mean, the Chipmunks have done every kinda music except Disco, and I wonder how the classic 1950's Alvin show fans felt about it.

I don't know if I'd buy the DVD, but I would see a sequal. I really hope they have some nod to the old shows in it somewhere. I'd love to see a brief reference to Clyde Crashcup in the next one. or even better... a short Clyde cartoon before the movie.

Telly

Reaction score
Last night made viewing number 3. I kept thinking what DrTooth said and how cool it would've been if Ian would've been named Harry instead!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I still think it is very odd that there was nearly no toy merchandise for this film - especially since many critics and some audience members have cited the film for being overly commercial. I suppose that's because of the Goldfish Crackers etc, but who doesn't like Goldfish? It made sense.

unclematt

Reaction score
I have a feeling you are going to see alot more merchandise.