The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

theprawncracker

Reaction score
NOTE: Super Scooter, Jim was unfortunately unable to answer your question based on company provisos. He sends his apologies!

ANSWERS: Jim Lewis: September 10

From BobthePizzaBoy…

Whoever sends the next batch of questions to Jim, make sure you send him this link on Dinosaur Train so he's in the know: http://pbskids.org/dinosaurtrain/

But I do have a question for you. I was checking out your IMDB page for productions to ask about and I found one thing I've never heard of: Kermit & the Muppets Take Over Disney Channel from 1998. According to IMDB, this aired after Muppets Tonight ended so do you have any recollection of what this thing was?

I don’t quite understand how IMDB gets these listings or what this was; I only can say that it never actually happened. Or, if it did, my memory has been erased and replaced with guacamole, which is certainly a possibility.

From dwayne1115…
Have you read the book "Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street", and did you have any talks with author Michael Davis?

I have not read it, but from those who are far more “Street” savvy than myself, I’ve heard it is a most amazing read – in particular for giving due respect to Jon Stone. I had the great good fortune to work with Jon on one project before his untimely passing. It was an honor and he was a joy. For that reason alone, I’m going to go out and read it. As for Michael Davis…Yes, I did speak with him, but didn’t really add anything to what he already had. My “Street” affiliation is sadly small – though I used to do a decent Big Bird when I was younger.

From Beauregard…
Jerm! (I've no idea where that came from? Weird accent?)

I saw the Kermit/Piggy appearance on America's Got Talent yesterday -- phenomenal Miss Piggy performance, by the way, agreed by all -- wondered if you had anything to do with it? The Emergency Use CD was a strike of genius and the pictures that appeared in the background (especially the one from Never Before!) were beautiful! It was also very striking and funny. (But enough about theprawncracker) Speaking of striking, that's how Miss Piggy looked! What a stunner! Feel free to tell her so :stick_out_tongue: I'm loving the curls and sparkle she seems to have gotten back!

Miss Piggy actually has a program installed on her computer that searches the web for any positive or negative mention of her – and then takes appropriate action. So I am quite certain that she already knows how you feel about her – and you’re darn lucky you said something positive. As for the appearance: yes, I was involved. The CD was my idea. I rarely take credit for this sort of thing, but it was such a marvelously stupid idea, you’d have probably figured out anyway that it came from moi.

From theprawncracker…
J-Money -
Do you have any advice for me, a young blogger wishing to make more connections in the Muppet world? Having you as a connection is incredible and I really wanted to thank you for that! So… Thank you for that!

I was recently voted “The Least Connected Person in Hollywood”. While I’ve held this title in the Muppet division for many years, I can now lay claim to this status industry-wide. So, while knowing me is a good start, it is essentially a social cul de sac.

Also... a real question. Have you read the Muppet comic books? Do you have a favorite? I know you had a hand in helping out with The Muppet Show by Roger Langridge--what about Robin Hood and Peter Pan?

I love Roger’s work. As I’ve said, he really has the flavor and flair of the characters. In my position as consultant, I have been reviewing the scripts, giving suggestions, tweaking dialogue, but the real work is all that of Roger and all the other artists who put that together. (I did gain some cred with the Boom! Comic people by proudly declaring that I am a long-longtime comic book geek who lives for Wednesdays when the new books come out. My wife thinks I’m crazy…for this reason and many others.)

From minor_muppetz…
While they aren't my favorite sketches from The Muppet Show, I'd just like to know, what do you think the chances are for new Pigs in Space and Vets Hospital sketches to be made for muppets.com?

I don’t know. Honest. I love those sketches – a simple form endlessly iterated, reiterated and gleefully run amok. But I can’t say I’ve heard them mentioned in connection with Muppets.com. Then again, this could have something to do with the guacamole. (See answer above.)

From TogetherAgain…
Hey Jim-Joe! TogetherAgain again here. I have approximately three questions for you, but one of them may be a compound question. (I'm good at those.)

In which case, I am going to me Question Answering Compound to answer them.

Question number one! How's Joe the Armadillo doing?

Joe is well. Has several things in development. And is good friends with the Head Writer for “Sesame Street”, the esteemed Mr. Joseph Mazzarino. I’d love to see Joe again, but sometime when you get as face-on-every-magazine-cover famous and popular as Joe, you have to step back and let the public miss you.

Question number two! What is your opinion on poetry?

I am a reader of poetry. It is the purest language, like a white dwarf star of written thought and emotion. My favorites include John Ashberry, Mark Strand, Charles Simic, T.S. Eliot and Phil Rizzuto.

And question number three (times eight plus two divided by zero)! What do you know about the D23 Expo that starts today? I've heard the Muppets will be getting some attention... Have you had any hand in that? And if so, was it your left hand or your right hand?

Yes, the Muppets will be there. Yes, I was involved. And, FYI, I used both left and right hand, with a cameo appearance by my nose.

What are they doing? I know what I wrote, but who knows for real.

unclematt

Reaction score
A little surprised by the beginnig of the last post about Steve Whitmire. I was not worried but am now. Other than that Jim is a wealth of knoweldge and just a treasure to have aroung her at the MC forums. Thank you again Jim.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Earlier in the thread, you talked a little bit about your short-lived stint as a writer at Big Idea working on a VeggieTales video. I have heard others compare the VeggieTales to the Muppets on several occasions. As someone who has written for both sets of characters, did you ever really take note of any similarites and used similar writing quirks that could be used within the Muppets in your Veggie scripts or vice versa?

And while we're on the subject of VeggieTales: Are the letters Bob and Larry read on the show real or fake? My firiend doesn't believe me that they're fake but I figured something who wrote a video can confirm that.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Question:
If you were a Muppet prop, what Muppet prop would you be?

"...man, I don't have no other pants!" :cool:

mbmfrog

Reaction score
First time here, and I must say that this is a good idea to me.

Still I've always felt that although Kermit is with the Muppets he is still owned by Disney, but isn't there anyway to overlook that rule since Kermit was the 1st of the Muppets ?

I mean I miss seeing Kermit appearing in Emmet Otter Jugband Chirstmas and I would love to see Kermit Back on Sesame Street in time for it's 40th season.

So isn't there anyway for Disney to at least consider the fact that Kermit is the 1st of Jim Henson's Muppets, that he should have least have a bit more room to roam outside of Disney.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Just came up with another question, today at D23 a Statler & Waldorf book was announced for next year. You don't have to give any details about the content but are you the writer working on that book?

unclematt

Reaction score
Jim,

I was just curious if you were at D23 at all? If so, were you an active part of what was going on?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I have a question:

Kermit has been in the Spotlight lattly, and People have been asking about whats going on with Steve, and we understand you don't want to answer, but here is something You might be able to answer.

How is Kermit doing?

With all the lattest news and stuff whats going on in the Frog's mind Is he happy or stessed out, and If you see him ask him if he would like to do an interview for us on the Muppet Mindset We fans would love to heard from him.

Ryan send this soon!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Jim -
What's your favorite Muppet song? I don't think this has been asked before... but if it has, just ignore me and call me a twerp!

~~~~~

Will send these questions soon! :big_grin:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Questions for Jim Lewis – September 20, 2009

From BobthePizzaBoy…
Earlier in the thread, you talked a little bit about your short-lived stint as a writer at Big Idea working on a VeggieTales video. I have heard others compare the VeggieTales to the Muppets on several occasions. As someone who has written for both sets of characters, did you ever really take note of any similarites and used similar writing quirks that could be used within the Muppets in your Veggie scripts or vice versa?

And while we're on the subject of VeggieTales: Are the letters Bob and Larry read on the show real or fake? My firiend doesn't believe me that they're fake but I figured something who wrote a video can confirm that.

I wish I could say I was a writer at Big Idea. I did pitch a story idea to them – a Veggietales take on the Laurel & Hardy classic “The Music Box” – which eventually was made…stripped of all dialogue and done as a silent with Jimmy & Jerry Gourd along with Larry the Cucumber doing a take on “The Three Stooges”. How it got that way is beyond me, but I love Veggietales and so I am always thrilled to say I did write a script for them.

As anyone who has seen Veggietales knows, Phil Vischer and Mike Nawrocki (the creators) write most of their material. I became aware of them because my kids were at just the right age when Veggietales first hit the shelves. We still love them and the phrase “Nope, not Tito” is a family staple (See: “Esther” video for details). I am a grand fan of their work. It has a marvelous wit to it…always funny for adults as well as kids…self-aware without smirking….great use of music…and a rep company of terrific original characters. In all those ways, I think that Phil and Mike have that Muppet sensibility. I started as a fan, briefly did some work for them and now, as before, remain a devoted fan.

Plus I got to meet Phil Vischer. Funny, witty, wise. If I were to grow up, I’d be him.
PS: The letters. Don’t know for sure. But I think it’s a device. However, I always invoke the first principle of comedy: “Accept the Premise and You’ll Love the Bit”.

From frogboy4…
Question:
If you were a Muppet prop, what Muppet prop would you be?

"...man, I don't have no other pants!"

Cheese. If that qualifies. Cheese gets to sing sometimes. And I have been called cheesy, so I qualify.

From mbmfrog…
First time here, and I must say that this is a good idea to me.

Still I've always felt that although Kermit is with the Muppets he is still owned by Disney, but isn't there anyway to overlook that rule since Kermit was the 1st of the Muppets ?

I mean I miss seeing Kermit appearing in Emmet Otter Jugband Chirstmas and I would love to see Kermit Back on Sesame Street in time for it's 40th season.

So isn't there anyway for Disney to at least consider the fact that Kermit is the 1st of Jim Henson's Muppets, that he should have least have a bit more room to roam outside of Disney.

This is an excellent question. And a major reason I like to write lawyer jokes.

From BobthePizzaBoy…
Just came up with another question, today at D23 a Statler & Waldorf book was announced for next year. You don't have to give any details about the content but are you the writer working on that book?

Honestly, I know no more than you. If you hear, let me know….especially if they announce me as the writer. (Heck, I might have written it and didn’t know….Oh, go back to sleep you ol’ fool!)

From unclematt…
Jim,

I was just curious if you were at D23 at all? If so, were you an active part of what was going on?

I was not there. I was involved with much of what the Muppets were up to there, but I did not attend in person. From those I’ve spoken with who were there, it sounded like scads of fun.

From dwayne1115…
I have a question:

Kermit has been in the Spotlight lately, and People have been asking about what’s going on with Steve, and we understand you don't want to answer, but here is something You might be able to answer.

How is Kermit doing?

With all the latest news and stuff what’s going on in the Frog's mind Is he happy or stressed out, and If you see him ask him if he would like to do an interview for us on the Muppet Mindset We fans would love to heard from him.

I can answer for me, but not for the frog, and in this case, as me, I can’t answer. Sorry, tried to make that sentence a palindrome, but it didn’t work out. I’m turning into the Scarlet Pimpernel (i.e. “****** elusive”) ain’t I?

From theprawncracker…
Jim -
What's your favorite Muppet song? I don't think this has been asked before... but if it has, just ignore me and call me a twerp!

Good question! And one I can answer. It’s a tie – “I’m Gonna Go Back There Someday” and “Rainbow Connection”. I still get choked up with both. And on the flip side, “Java” and “Mahna-Mahna,” cause they helped start this all….Oh, and “That Old Black Magic’ from SAM & FRIENDS, sung by Louie Prima and Keely Smith. Just to name a few.