The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Do the Muppets have any bad blood with anyone? i.e. - Is there anyone the Muppets won't work with or vice-versa?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hi, Jim!

Got a question for you... obviously, right?

When I was a kid, one of my favorite stories was "Rowlf's Lullaby" of the Jim Henson's Muppet Stories series. I was wandering about Muppet Wiki the other day, and noticed... you wrote it. Soooo, I wanted to ask you about how those stories developed. I read they were originally released as a subscription? Any chance we'd ever see those books re-released at some point? Really, any fun stories about your work on those would be cool. :smile:

Super Scooter

James Denny

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

if you can't answer this one fine, but I wonder if you have seen a copy of the Muppetman script, and if you have what did you think of it?

Best Wishes,

James

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wow I have almost forgot about this thread untill I got an E mail saying someone had posted a question! I see we have some un asked questions, and I have not talked with Jim in a few months. So I'm going to send these questions tonight!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Here you go! I almost deleted these from My computer so we are lucky to get these tongiht!

The Return of Questions for Jim Lewis

After a short break mainly on the senders part(me) we are getting back in the swing of things and Asking Muppet Writter Jim Lewis questions. Fans from all over the globe have wrote on Muppet Central Froums to ask questions for Jim. Let's get started! and welcome back Jim did you miss us?

From Bobthepizzaboy: By the way, Jim, I should say that I heavily enjoyed Muppets Tonight regardless of the balancing act ABC put the writers on. It really is a shame that it never caught on the way it should have.

But I digress, there have been a ton of projects that the Hensons announced but never got the funds to produce (the would-be 2005 ABC special Kermit's Christmas Capers, The Muppets' Haunted House, Kermit, Prince of Denmark and of course the original Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made). Assuming you know a thing or two about most of the unfinished productions, for you what was the most disheartening not to see ever make it into production?

Oh I try not to dwell on what doesn’t happen. That’s the nature of the business of show. I try to be like Fozzie—sure this next performance is gonna go gangbusters. Stuff happens or does not happen for all kinds of reasons. I’ve given up trying to figure out the why, the what or the how. But I’m sure the next project is gonna be the best thing ever. As Jim Henson once said to a fellow performer submerged in a hollowed-out log beneath swampy water: “Hey, if it were easy, everyone would do it.”

From Minor Muppetz: You said that writing "Muppets Tonight" was a group effort, and that you thought the same applied to the writing of "The Muppet Show". When you mention "group effort", do you mean all writers wrote for every scene? Because on these and many variety shows, I always assumed that each individual sketch would have been written by one person each, with maybe more writers working on the backstage stories (though I also wouldn't be surprised if each "At the Dance" segment was a group effort, with writers writing a random selection of jokes that make it to each sketch)

A group effort, with an explanation: The idea and storyline for a show was usually “broken” by the group. We’d all figure out what the beats of the narrative would be and how this narrative would be broken up by sketches, backstage bits and assorted effluvia – including flotsam, jetsam and gimcracks. But, as you put it so well, the individual sketches were usually written (at first) by a single writer or a pair of writers, who would submit it to the group, at which point, we’d try to improve it, embellish it or otherwise make with more funny. The head writer’s job is to sort through all this and decide on what works best for the show, the character, the storyline, etc. And after that comes the readthru when the performers and guest get their shot, at which point more rewriting happens. Sometimes this works smashingly well. And sometimes not so much. Group writing can be exhilarating or enervating, but when you’re putting together a show in a few days, it’s often the only way to make a show. (As for “At the Dance” – this is a glorious idea which requires putting a series of terribly foolish jokes together without rhyme or reason. And speaking as a writer, it’s sometimes fun to not have to worry about story, just about getting the laugh. And with bad jokes! )

3. From dwayne1115: You mentioned in your last answers about relationships of the Muppets and how that if they had a show they could be re discoverd so to speak. Do you think that Muppets.com has helped in that? and do you also feel that the Muppets need to be on T.V first to re establish there relationships, and who they are before they do a big screen movie?

The advantage of a weekly series is you get extended time to build and explore the relationships….if the show stays on long enough. Movies let you do it on a grand scale, but you get only one show. And online bits are a wonderful place to work this ground, too, but like the daily newspaper, these bits come and go. I think we should continue to pursue them all. I can use the work, and as you well know, you can never have too much Muppets.

4. From Vic Romano: Do the Muppets have any bad blood with anyone? i.e. - Is there anyone the Muppets won't work with or vice-versa?

Other than me, no. They can’t work with me, but I won’t leave, so we’re stuck with each other. Seriously, I’ve never heard anyone say they won’t work with us or vice-versa. I guess there might be some, but I mean why would anyone want to feud with a lovable frog. (Okay, the pig can get a bit grating, but…. I wouldn’t say that to her face.)

5. From Super Scooter: Hi, Jim!

Got a question for you... obviously, right?

When I was a kid, one of my favorite stories was "Rowlf's Lullaby" of the Jim Henson's Muppet Stories series. I was wandering about Muppet Wiki the other day, and noticed... you wrote it. Soooo, I wanted to ask you about how those stories developed. I read they were originally released as a subscription? Any chance we'd ever see those books re-released at some point? Really, any fun stories about your work on those would be cool.

I am honored that you remember and like those stories. I wrote some of those, along with many other writers, under the guidance of the great Louise Gikow, back when she was editor of Henson Publishing. I don’t recall the subscription part, but Louise had/has a great ear for making stories work. She deserves most of the credit. As for stories about the making of the stories: I can’t remember any, but if they were funny I would have probably bored you with them by now.

6. From New Question asker James Denny: Hi Jim,

if you can't answer this one fine, but I wonder if you have seen a copy of the Muppetman script, and if you have what did you think of it?

I know what you know from reading stuff on the web. As I understand it, the script is at the Jim Henson Company, which is the perfect place for it to be. But since I’m not there anymore, I haven’t seen it. And if I did, I wouldn’t be able to answer anyway. So, as usual, I will hide behind a curtain of ignorance and confidentiality. Sorry and let me know if you find out more.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
New question for Jim: Did you write anything in the Weezer "Keep Fishing" music video (I'm referring to the pre-performanc ebackstage scene, but also Statler and Waldorf's ending comment and maybe the backstage action tha thappened during the music video)?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
New question for Jim: Did you write anything in the Weezer "Keep Fishing" music video (I'm referring to the pre-performanc ebackstage scene, but also Statler and Waldorf's ending comment and maybe the backstage action tha thappened during the music video)?
Ohh wow I was just watching that Music Video on Season Two of the Muppet Show. It got me to thinking about Jim, but it never crossed my mind to ask him. Great Question!

warnergt

Reaction score
Who was the actual (human) bassist for tunes featuring Floyd Pepper?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Who was the actual (human) bassist for tunes featuring Floyd Pepper?
Hi there and welcome to Muppet Central, and the Ask Jim Lewis thread! I love that you have asked a question, but I was wondering what production or where you talking just as a basic who was Floyd based on? It is a great question beacuse I think we have talked with Jim about almost all of the EM band except Floyd. Which is a shame because He is one of my favs as well.
If you need any help or anything with the question or anything at all feel free to PM me or just ask. Thanks and again welcome to the Forums!