The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You said that writing "Muppets Tonight" was a group effort, and that you thought the same applied to the writing of "The Muppet Show". When you mention "group effort", do you mean all writers wrote for every scene? Because on these and many variety shows, I always assumed that each individual sketch would have been written by one person each, with maybe more writers working on the backstage stories (though I also wouldn't be surprised if each "At the Dance" segment was a group effort, with writers writing a random selection of jokes that make it to each sketch).

Super Scooter

Reaction score
You said that writing "Muppets Tonight" was a group effort, and that you thought the same applied to the writing of "The Muppet Show". When you mention "group effort", do you mean all writers wrote for every scene? Because on these and many variety shows, I always assumed that each individual sketch would have been written by one person each, with maybe more writers working on the backstage stories (though I also wouldn't be surprised if each "At the Dance" segment was a group effort, with writers writing a random selection of jokes that make it to each sketch).
I think I know the answer to your question. As evidenced by Of Muppets and Men, the writers for the old Muppet Show met in a room to work together on the script. True, it may be that a specific writer was the main one working on his sketch, but by the time it aired, many different writers had contributed to the sketch, adding to it, taking away from it. This is how it works on many shows. For instance, with NewsRadio, even though one writer was credited for each show, every writer on staff put work into the script.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
You mentioned in your last answers about relationships of the Muppets and how that if they had a show they could be re discoverd so to speak. Do you think that Muppets.com has helped in that? and do you also feel that the Muppets need to be on T.V first to re establish there relationships, and who they are before they do a big screen movie?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
We at The Muppet Mindset are proud to announce that we're now an official sponsor (or something like that) of The Ask Jim Lewis Thread! There's a large button linking to the thread on the site and we hope to inspire more and more people to ask Jim a question!

www.muppetmindset.com

dwayne1115

Reaction score
We at The Muppet Mindset are proud to announce that we're now an official sponsor (or something like that) of The Ask Jim Lewis Thread! There's a large button linking to the thread on the site and we hope to inspire more and more people to ask Jim a question!

www.muppetmindset.com
Wow That is nice! Are you sure we can afford this?

unclematt

Reaction score

www.muppetmindset.com
Great idea, considering the fact that this is a very special thread and we are very fortunate to have Jim's expertise and insight shared with us in such a giving manner.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
No moby you sold moby ah ah ah that ait fair i loved that little thing. You can sell my dolls except for my Sonny and Cher and no one touches my life like ALF doll I payed a pretty penny for that. Come to think of it all my pennies are pretty because i put lip-stick on Abe Lincon's face, and tie a pink bow around them.

unclematt

Reaction score
No moby you sold moby ah ah ah that ait fair i loved that little thing. You can sell my dolls except for my Sonny and Cher and no one touches my life like ALF doll I payed a pretty penny for that. Come to think of it all my pennies are pretty because i put lip-stick on Abe Lincon's face, and tie a pink bow around them.
I had an ALF doll but I was allergic to it.