The ask Jim Lewis thread is now open

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'm re-reading Before You Leap (when am I not?) so I should have a few more questions for this thread soon.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Jim, I just received the Muppet 2008 Day-at-a-Time Calendar, and it is AMAZING! I just want to know if you had anything to do with writing all of the captions for the calendar, it's great, punny humor, right up your alley, and it references Muppet Magazine, which I know you had a hand in! :smile:

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
My original question was combined with another question, which sort of altered its meaning. I'll attempt to rephrase. The original question was:
Has there been a conscious effort to change, update, and/or modernize the writing style of the Muppets, and if so, what have these changes entailed and what is your opinion of same?
To restate, the Muppet writing style has changed over time, from the golden era before Henson's death, through the years that followed. Has there been a conscious effort to change the writing style over the last several years or has it just happened? Specifically, there are some elements found in earlier work that have either been forgotten or purposefully discarded, both in dialogue and character.

For example:
-Kermit's smarmy asides to the camera and little insults directed at his friends have basically been phased out
-take a Boober Fraggle line, like "I am distinctly un-hilarious!" or "I pride myself on my inability to guffaw!"- would such lines ever be used today?
-certain facets of Gonzo's personality, such as his self-delusional belief that he's a performance artiste of the highest caliber, denigrating his audience to the level of "yokels, rubes!" (Of course, one could say that Gonzo has matured over the years.)

Then there are projects like "Kermit's Swamp Years" and "Muppets Wizard of Oz" which, if I remember correctly, you had nothing to do with (more's the pity), and the writing styles of these have NOTHING to do with the style originated by Jerry Juhl.

My question is, are the little subtleties lost in antiquity? Have they been thrown out on purpose or just overlooked? Is there any element to the writing that you would like to see more of?

(If you couldn't tell, I'm big on vintage Muppet writing and have come to idolize Jerry Juhl, counting him as a looming influence on my own writing style.)

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Beauregard

Reaction score
I have a question about Piggy's appearence on the Late, Late Show with Craig Fergy. It was an amazing appearence. Did you have anything to do with the writing of that?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I think I'm going to go ahead and send Jim this batch of questions... it's been too long since we've had any answers.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Answers from Jim...

"What is Gerry Parks up to lately?"

I honestly don’t know. Fraggle Rock and the special, “A Muppet Family Christmas” was before my time at Henson, so I’ve never had the pleasure of working with Mr. Parks. But from all accounts, he’s a gem of a person. I’d be curious myself.

"When writing a Christmas movie such as It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie was it hard to get in the Christmas spirit or did you write it during Christmas?"

No, I didn’t write it at Christmas, but thanks to all my Perry Como and Bing Crosby Christmas CDs and such DVD’s as “A Christmas Story,” “Going My Way,” “Holiday Inn” and “March of the Wooden Soldiers,” it was easy to get into the spirit.

"Jim, I just received the Muppet 2008 Day-at-a-Time Calendar, and it is AMAZING! I just want to know if you had anything to do with writing all of the captions for the calendar, it's great, punny humor, right up your alley, and it references Muppet Magazine, which I know you had a hand in!"

Sounds great. I wish I could take creditÉor even a copy of this. Go out and buy it! I will.

"To restate, the Muppet writing style has changed over time, from the golden era before Henson's death, through the years that followed. Has there been a conscious effort to change the writing style over the last several years or has it just happened? Specifically, there are some elements found in earlier work that have either been forgotten or purposefully discarded, both in dialogue and character.
For example:
-Kermit's smarmy asides to the camera and little insults directed at his friends have basically been phased out--take a Boober Fraggle line, like "I am distinctly un-hilarious!" or "I pride myself on my inability to guffaw!"- would such lines ever be used today?
-certain facets of Gonzo's personality, such as his self-delusional belief that he's a performance artiste of the highest caliber, denigrating his audience to the level of "yokels, rubes!" (Of course, one could say that Gonzo has matured over the years.)

My question is, are the little subtleties lost in antiquity? Have they been thrown out on purpose or just overlooked? Is there any element to the writing that you would like to see more of?
(If you couldn't tell, I'm big on vintage Muppet writing and have come to idolize Jerry Juhl, counting him as a looming influence on my own writing style.)"

Not sure I can do this question justice. I know what you mean. I think some of it has to do with the fact that when the original creators of a character perform a character, they feel a greater latitude in how the character acts; when a new performer takes over a character, they tread more gingerly. That’s just a theoryÉ.and of course it doesn’t work with the Gonzo example you cite. For awhile, Gonzo was taking more responsibility. I think this was an effort to take some of the hosting duties off Kermit’s shoulders. Now that there’s no need to do this, we’ve all pushed in the direction of Gonzo being more true to his absurdist plumber-performance-artist-daredevil-all-around-weirdo origins.
All that said, as times change and people change, things change. I’m not sure what it means, but as Jerry Juhl might say: “Let’s see if they buy that before we start rewriting.”

"I have a question about Piggy's appearence on the Late, Late Show with Craig Fergy. It was an amazing appearence. Did you have anything to do with the writing of that?"

I helped write the opening bit
and, as usual, I gave Eric (or any performer) some
material beforehand, but then it's all in their hands
(literally). I didn't see the spot. Glad it worked so
well. Craig F. is great. He gets the premise and makes
the bit work.
Best, Jim

Beauregard

Reaction score
"I have a question about Piggy's appearence on the Late, Late Show with Craig Fergy. It was an amazing appearence. Did you have anything to do with the writing of that?"

I helped write the opening bit and, as usual, I gave Eric (or any performer) some material beforehand, but then it's all in their hands (literally). I didn't see the spot. Glad it worked so well. Craig F. is great. He gets the premise and makes the bit work.
Thanks, Jim! The piece was wonderfully executed.

I have a few trivial questions!

I was trying to whip up some Fly-shoe Pie the ther day (following the strict guidelines set out in BYL) but it didn't work out for me. I was wondering, if there a method to seperating the Pond Water from the pond scum?

Also, I couldn't help but wonder if you prefer Fresh Muffins or Fresh Bagels?

Beau

theprawncracker

Reaction score
GREAT questions, Beau. I think I have a question or two too...

I'm currently re-reading "Before You Leap", and was wondering if there was every any dispute from Disney to include Kermit's Sesame past. Like, did they ever not want to put the picture of Big Bird in? Or not want to deal with the legalities of mentioning Sesame Workshop characters?

Also, when writing a scene where Gonzo and Rizzo order a pizza, what would they have on it?

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Jim, I have a bit of an odd question... but then, it's the Muppets, so what ISN'T odd? ...I digress. My point, if I have one, is this: How do you, or how does any Muppet writer, write for the Swedish Chef? Do you just give a general idea of what Chef would be trying to convey, hand it the Muppeteers, and say, "Have fun!" Or do you write it all out, or... Just- HOW? And I suppose I could ask the same about Beaker and chickens and so forth, but I'm particularly curious about the Chef.