The “What did you do today?” thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I miss the stores that used to exist in malls-Waldenbooks, Sam Goody,The Disney Store, Radio Shack, they've all bit the dust. How JC Penney is still around is a miracle.
Well, the malls made ghost towns out of downtown. Now they're suffering the same fate.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
The cool era I was too young to be part of (but my older sister was in her glory) was in the late 70s/ early 80s. Cable was still new, VCRs were still a luxury for a precious few, the big draw at the mall was the midnight movies.

On the weekends, high school kids would pack the movies (back then, movie tickets were TWO DOLLARS!!)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Monty Python and the Holy Grail,
The Warriors, and rock movies like
The Song Remains the Same (Led Zeppelin) The Kids Are Alright (The Who), that was the deal.
Unfortunately, by the time I was old enough to go, the midnight movie was phasing out. Now you could rent a VCR (a new one would set you back 400 bucks)and you can watch at home, but it wasn't the same.
At least you were cognizant; I only lived 6 years in the '90s.

Can you stream movies still in theaters from home yet? I'm surprised the movie theater (just like the mall) hasn't been phased out yet. GameStop is the next to go - I heard they're closing 200 stores. Seems a little soon as people (including myself) still buy physical games, but yeah.

I miss the stores that used to exist in malls-Waldenbooks, Sam Goody,The Disney Store, Radio Shack, they've all bit the dust. How JC Penney is still around is a miracle.
Well, the malls made ghost towns out of downtown. Now they're suffering the same fate.
I loved the statues in the Disney Store.

What about the Sesame Street General Store? Apparently they existed when I was really young, and my parents would "make me look the other way so they wouldn't have to take me in it"... ***?!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
At least you were cognizant; I only lived 6 years in the '90s.

Can you stream movies still in theaters from home yet? I'm surprised the movie theater (just like the mall) hasn't been phased out yet. GameStop is the next to go - I heard they're closing 200 stores. Seems a little soon as people (including myself) still buy physical games, but yeah.

I loved the statues in the Disney Store.

What about the Sesame Street General Store? Apparently they existed when I was really young, and my parents would "make me look the other way so they wouldn't have to take me in it"... ***?!
GameStop used to have some pretty neat stuff, but very pricey. Hand carved Dungeons and Dragons game pieces, roulette wheels, slot machines, nice if you could afford it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I managed to get a sizeable SS lamppost display from GameStop, and got it talked down to 10 bucks . . . even though it breaks apart into piece, each piece is as heavy as can be.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I'm sorry Toys R Us is gone, and Penney's on borrowed time.I worked for Penney's for 11years, 5 for Toys. Both were good companies to work for, both had good pay, great benefits, and kept me off the streets. It's too bad they couldn't change fast enough with the times.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I've been going to dialysis since Thanksgiving. They had to put this catheter in my chest.Recently the put a permanent port in my arm, so I don't need the chest port anymore. The one thing I could not do was get the chest port wet.So this summer swimming was out. So was taking a shower.
For the last ten months, I could wash my hair under the faucet and sponge myself off.Now for the first time since Thanksgiving, I can take a shower like the rest of you.
For the first time this year, I am clean.

cjd874

Reaction score
Round 2 of the driver's license test (three days ago). Test: 2, me: 0. :frown:
I was nervous from the start, and I don't even know why. I was driving too slow, I was unsure of when to turn at each intersection (right-of-way), and I messed up a K-turn. It got so bad that I even made a left turn into the wrong lane while leaving a parking lot. :oops: Thankfully there was no incoming traffic, but I still got real scared. The instructor (calm as could be) said, "Get in the right lane." I did, and then I had that sinking feeling like "Crap, I KNOW that I'm not passing today."
After the test, he said, "You drive well...but you're too nervous. It's easier than you think it is...it's just like walking, man! Keep practicing and then you'll be more confident."
So I have go back in December to test again. It's discouraging, but I'm sure that's all I can do.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Round 2 of the driver's license test (three days ago). Test: 2, me: 0. :frown:
I was nervous from the start, and I don't even know why. I was driving too slow, I was unsure of when to turn at each intersection (right-of-way), and I messed up a K-turn. It got so bad that I even made a left turn into the wrong lane while leaving a parking lot. :oops: Thankfully there was no incoming traffic, but I still got real scared. The instructor (calm as could be) said, "Get in the right lane." I did, and then I had that sinking feeling like "Crap, I KNOW that I'm not passing today."
After the test, he said, "You drive well...but you're too nervous. It's easier than you think it is...it's just like walking, man! Keep practicing and then you'll be more confident."
So I have go back in December to test again. It's discouraging, but I'm sure that's all I can do.
Three was a charm for me, so don't sweat it. I was nervous when I started driving, and there was high expectations for my generation to drive. "You mean you're 17 and you don't have your license yet???!!"
Being able to drive was a huge rite of passage. It meant being able to get a job, make some money, go places with friends, it meant freedom and independence. By the time you graduated high school, if you couldn't drive, you had about as much freedom as a chained-up dog.
Within a year, I was driving a big truck with my dad all over Creation, all over New York City in the hairiest traffic on earth.
Driving is like cooking for yourself. It might seem hard to master, but once you do, it will serve you well forever.
If not, it can get expensive to have someone do it for you. And Mommy and Daddy can't do it forever.