The “What did you do today?” thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Got a battle going on between me and the mouse that recently invaded my house.
There are two traps. One that traps him, and you take him outside and let him go. The other trap kills him.
Most people would prefer the humane trap. Mice won't up and leave. If I let him go outside, I don't want him back.

Why do they have humane traps for mice? You don't trap roaches and set them free outside. You want them DEAD! Same with ants, spiders, rats, wasps, whatever.
I'd rather not kill the mouse, but unless he's paying rent or doing chores, out he goes.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
When they're in a cage in the pet shop (yes, you can buy your own pinky rat)
they look cute. Crawling on the kitchen floor, they're not.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Went to the mall for the first time in five years. A good number of stores were vacant. Sears is closing October 1.There were more people behind the registers than actual customers.
Malls used to have something for everybody. Now that Boarder's, Toys R Us, and record and book stores are gone, all that's left are overpriced boutiques.
Sign of the times. 20 years ago Walmart and Tatget took their bite of mall traffic, now Amazon is eating more.
Malls used to be the place to hang out, now they're starting to look like ghost towns.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Starting to? Malls have been looking like ghost towns for a number of years now. Despite having not been to the one near where I live in a number of years, I did see where somebody posted a video on YouTube within the last year or so walking around inside . . . quite practically the only thing still there that's open is the food court; almost everything else down both wings are abandoned. It's quite surreal to look at.

I remember as a kid, among my favorite stores in the mall were the Disney store, K.B. Toys, fye (despite their outrageous prices), Auntie Anne's, Waldenbook's, the pet store, whatever novelty stores that have come and gone, and usually directly below the food court (ours is a two-story mall), there was a big open area that was usually reserved for seasonal events, like sitting on Santa's lap, or meeting the Easter Bunny, or something like that.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
"Dead mall" culture is a cool facet of the internet; as Snowth said, there's just something about it.

I was reminded of malls today too when I saw a post on the nostalgia reddit regarding the Warner Bros. Studio Store (I believe one of them still exists). The '90s rocked; just enough technology to keep you occupied inside, but not enough that you still had to go out... shame I was too young to appreciate it.

Suncoast was a pretty cool store as well.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's another mall on the other side of my town (that's surprisingly still not-quite-as-dead) that used to have a Warner Bros. store waaay back when, that I always found so cool! Especially since dead center in the store was a space ship piloted by a hologram of Marvin the Martian (who was always one of my favorite Looney Tunes anyway) that you could go into, where they'd have multiple TV sets playing various outer space-themed Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies/WB cartoons, among other similarly themed merchandise inside.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The cool era I was too young to be part of (but my older sister was in her glory) was in the late 70s/ early 80s. Cable was still new, VCRs were still a luxury for a precious few, the big draw at the mall was the midnight movies.

On the weekends, high school kids would pack the movies (back then, movie tickets were TWO DOLLARS!!)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Monty Python and the Holy Grail,
The Warriors, and rock movies like
The Song Remains the Same (Led Zeppelin) The Kids Are Alright (The Who), that was the deal.
Unfortunately, by the time I was old enough to go, the midnight movie was phasing out. Now you could rent a VCR (a new one would set you back 400 bucks)and you can watch at home, but it wasn't the same.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In a way, my generation's version of that era was internet was still new (and usually more commonly found in public places like schools and libraries), and cable and/or satellite services were still a luxury for a precious few.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Our mall is pretty much dead. 12 stores have backed out of it, and you hardly even see anyone in there. There's even a rumor out there that it might be closing down for good.