Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

dwmckim

Reaction score
Whoever made that had too much time on their hands.

Now that you bring up Mr. Potato Head, I actually did think Randy Newman was black when I first heard him in Toy Story (along with James and the Giant Peach and A Bug's Life). I also used to think Eric Clapton was black when my dad played his music as a kid. Same thing with the lead singer of Fine Young Cannibals (he had a Cee-lo green-esque voice).
Roland Gift (FYC lead singer) is half-black.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
To an extent, and maybe this just because I'm good at imitating voices and might come off biased saying this, but a white guy imitating a black voice isn't all that uncommon.

I mean, we have a white guy doing Cleveland's voice on Family Guy. Heck, there are some white guys out there who have some of the "blackest" voices I've heard in my life.
That's a good point, Jerry. After all, didn't Jerry Nelson voice Roosevelt Franklin for a time after Matt Robinson left?

Plus a little side note, I guess Disney needs to find a new Mr. Potato Head voice now that Don Rickles is gone.

"While they wait for Tom Hanks to make Toy Story 4."

scooterfan360

Reaction score
well i thought that Michael MC Donald was black when i first heard him sing, and he and James Ingram both sound a like, just listen to the song i will be there. and then there is Teena Marie.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
So based on Steve's latest blog post, it seems Matt was also quite annoyed with the manner in which Steve was let go (if we are taking him at his word).

Also, he is really pushing for them to allow him to do the Hollywood Bowl performance. As much as I would love him to come back, I think the fallout between him and Disney is irreparable at this point.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
So based on Steve's latest blog post, it seems Matt was also quite annoyed with the manner in which Steve was let go (if we are taking him at his word).
I have to say, it wasn't Disney's most professional move, since they (apparently) did it over the phone. When I was laid off, my supervisor came up to my cubicle, asked me if she could see me for a minute, took me out into the hallway out of earshot from everybody else, and gave me the bad news. When I read it was over the phone, it made me think it was akin to, "Hi Steve, it's Disney. You're fired. Have a magical day!" Insert dial tone here. (please don't take me seriously in that regard, I know Disney wouldn't do something like that in real life).

Also, he is really pushing for them to allow him to do the Hollywood Bowl performance. As much as I would love him to come back, I think the fallout between him and Disney is irreparable at this point.
As much of a Steve Whitmire fan that I am, I find I have to agree with that.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Or did something break we can't repair.

Well, if that's true that would 'splain why Matt's Kermit in TOTW was delayed for so long. But you're right. I mean, they can't delay a big event like the Hollywood Bowl. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. Now this will be on video online somewhere for those of us who can't make it to LA in September, right?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Steve said on his blog that he heard that Matt was the only performer who vocally expressed outrage when the main performers were told of Whitmire's firing, so I guess that dismisses my theory that maybe he didn't know Whitmire had been fired as opposed to retired when he accepted the role of Kermit.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Or did something break we can't repair.

Well, if that's true that would 'splain why Matt's Kermit in TOTW was delayed for so long. But you're right. I mean, they can't delay a big event like the Hollywood Bowl. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. Now this will be on video online somewhere for those of us who can't make it to LA in September, right?
No, both Kirk Thatcher and Mike Quinn have confirmed that the shows will not be filmed. If you don't go and see it live, you don't see it at all.

Censored

Reaction score
I have to say, it wasn't Disney's most professional move, since they (apparently) did it over the phone. When I was laid off, my supervisor came up to my cubicle, asked me if she could see me for a minute, took me out into the hallway out of earshot from everybody else, and gave me the bad news. When I read it was over the phone, it made me think it was akin to, "Hi Steve, it's Disney. You're fired. Have a magical day!" Insert dial tone here. (please don't take me seriously in that regard, I know Disney wouldn't do something like that in real life).

Termination in person is probably more desirable than termination over the phone (although at the end of the day, it has the exact same result). As for it being out of everyone's earshot, it was, until Steve changed it.

Last edited: