Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I could see Cliff in some new material. If Kevin isn't doing puppeteering these days, (I know though he left SS, we have heard that he still works for Henson at least from time to time). I'm thinking they may want to give Drew Massey a chance as Clifford. Didn't he puppeteer him in MWOO with Kevin looping in the voice?

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Given Clifford's inherent connection to Kevin's race, I don't think it's wise to give him to a white performer.
To an extent, and maybe this just because I'm good at imitating voices and might come off biased saying this, but a white guy imitating a black voice isn't all that uncommon.

I mean, we have a white guy doing Cleveland's voice on Family Guy. Heck, there are some white guys out there who have some of the "blackest" voices I've heard in my life.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Good example:

I had to mix this song in my mixdown 2 class, and I was surprised to find out the guy was white. Listening to his voice made me picture him being a stereotypical black blues singer: overweight, afro, gold rings on fingers, beard, etc.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently a lot of people thought Hall and Oates were black as well based on their soulful singing.

In all honesty, I had previously assumed Steve Tyrell was black as well - something about his voice and the way he sings makes me think if Redd Foxx could carry a tune, that's what he'd sound like.

But, then there's this:

Supposedly the guy who voices the Maine Potato at the end of this video is white (he also voiced a villain in another part of this short whose voice sounds a lot like Eddy from ED, EDD N EDDY).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Apparently a lot of people thought Hall and Oates were black as well based on their soulful singing.

In all honesty, I had previously assumed Steve Tyrell was black as well - something about his voice and the way he sings makes me think if Redd Foxx could carry a tune, that's what he'd sound like.

But, then there's this:

Supposedly the guy who voices the Maine Potato at the end of this video is white (he also voiced a villain in another part of this short whose voice sounds a lot like Eddy from ED, EDD N EDDY).
Whoever made that had too much time on their hands.

Now that you bring up Mr. Potato Head, I actually did think Randy Newman was black when I first heard him in Toy Story (along with James and the Giant Peach and A Bug's Life). I also used to think Eric Clapton was black when my dad played his music as a kid. Same thing with the lead singer of Fine Young Cannibals (he had a Cee-lo green-esque voice).