Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Which brings up a point: somebody isn't being entirely honest here, so who is it? Are Disney, the Henson family, and other performers like Rick Lyon and Tyler Bunch overplaying Steve's behavior to make him look bad? Is Steve underplaying his behavior to make him look like a victim?

This is what I keep saying: somebody isn't being entirely honest, and I'm feeling more and more that it's Steve - all of what has been said by Disney, the Hensons, and other performers has been consistent with each other, meanwhile for each new accusation, Steve is quick to defend it.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Which brings up a point: somebody isn't being entirely honest here, so who is it? Are Disney, the Henson family, and other performers like Rick Lyon and Tyler Bunch overplaying Steve's behavior to make him look bad? Is Steve underplaying his behavior to make him look like a victim?

This is what I keep saying: somebody isn't being entirely honest, and I'm feeling more and more that it's Steve - all of what has been said by Disney, the Hensons, and other performers has been consistent with each other, meanwhile for each new accusation, Steve is quick to defend it.
Personally, I see where Steve is coming from. Several times in the past, people would say to me that I'm coming off wrongly and I'd be like, "You kidding? You're nuts, not me!" In hindsight, I was in fact in the wrong. I feel that's kind of how Steve feels. Like @JimAndFrank already stated, his perspective is different from the Henson family's, and I think that's the biggest issue of all here - perspective. Everyone has there own perspective of why he was fired, who's in the right and who's in the wrong. Somewhere in between everything else lies the answer.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Personally, I see where Steve is coming from. Several times in the past, people would say to me that I'm coming off wrongly and I'd be like, "You kidding? You're nuts, not me!" In hindsight, I was in fact in the wrong. I feel that's kind of how Steve feels. Like @JimAndFrank already stated, his perspective is different from the Henson family's, and I think that's the biggest issue of all here - perspective. Everyone has there own perspective of why he was fired, who's in the right and who's in the wrong. Somewhere in between everything else lies the answer.
Agreed. Steve's fans are so anxious to defend him, they never stop to consider the possibility that maybe, just maybe, there really was a problem.
As I've said before, I can believe Steve was trying to fight for the integrity of the Muppets - I've made it clear that I haven't been too happy with some of the decisions that Disney has made either - but what you guys say is true, particular in show business: you get too nitpicky, too complainy, too demanding, it can cost you.

Steve has admitted that he's made countless notes regarding scripts and direction and other things, and as said, he could have seen it as him trying to fight for the Muppets' integrity, and I can believe that, but from a corporate point of view, it can be seen as him being a nuisance and a meddler. Now, all of that aside, there's still the issue of other accusations that Steve hasn't really addressed, including him attacking others through email, throwing other performers under the bus (Rick said this specifically), and basically ostracizing younger/newer performers; not to mention the allegations this the real reason he's no longer with SST is because he was fired for wanting too much money.

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
I too, am disheartened to hear about Steve's departure and I wish him the best of luck. As for Statler, Lips, Rizzo, and Beaker, who knows who else could perform them. A sad time for us muppet fans. :frown::cry:

WE LOVE YOU, STEVE WHITMIRE!:smile::shifty::eek::boo::news:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Here's the thing folks. Regardless of who you think is in the wrong or in the right. Disney has final say, BOTTOM LINE!!! And Disney decided that Steve Whitmire's services were no longer. We can support Steve or show him utter disdain. But it's not going to make a shred of difference.

As a very passionate Muppets fan myself, to the point that I have spent tons of money on my personal collection and even have Kermit tattooed on my shin, I can respect, even love, that Steve felt he was taking a stand for the Muppets and the beloved frog in particular. But, it could also be said that Steve is, or was, a performer. And maybe sometimes as a performer you should just shut up and say your lines. Both sides can have compelling arguments.

But at the end of it all, instead of pointing fingers and playing "he said, she said." How about we all, as fans, just remember fondly all the great memories he has had a hand in (no pun intended) creating. A lot of people here have stated that it is a holiday tradition to watch Muppets Christmas Carol every year. That was Steve Whitmire's Kermit. The first you heard "Pictures in my Head" from the 2011's the Muppets and how that made you felt, again that was Whitmire's Kermit. Even if it's true he was difficult to work with, it doesn't change those great Steve Whitmire's Kermit moments. Does it?

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Here's the thing folks. Regardless of who you think is in the wrong or in the right. Disney has final say, BOTTOM LINE!!! And Disney decided that Steve Whitmire's services were no longer. We can support Steve or show him utter disdain. But it's not going to make a shred of difference.

As a very passionate Muppets fan myself, to the point that I have spent tons of money on my personal collection and even have Kermit tattooed on my shin, I can respect, even love, that Steve felt he was taking a stand for the Muppets and the beloved frog in particular. But, it could also be said that Steve is, or was, a performer. And maybe sometimes as a performer you should just shut up and say your lines. Both sides can have compelling arguments.

But at the end of it all, instead of pointing fingers and playing "he said, she said." How about we all, as fans, just remember fondly all the great memories he has had a hand in (no pun intended) creating. A lot of people here have stated that it is a holiday tradition to watch Muppets Christmas Carol every year. That was Steve Whitmire's Kermit. The first you heard "Pictures in my Head" from the 2011's the Muppets and how that made you felt, again that was Whitmire's Kermit. Even if it's true he was difficult to work with, it doesn't change those great Steve Whitmire's Kermit moments. Does it?
That was very well put as a lot of people's posts have been these past 50 pages but this one was just spot on my friend!