Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

CBPuppets

Reaction score
While Steve was still employed I believe Billy was already providing Ernie's voice for the Sesame Street Live shows because of money issues with Steve. I feel bad that he didn't last as the puppeteer, but I commend Sesame's willingness to recognize a lack of chemistry or something missing and moving quickly to replace and correct it.
I remember reading somewhere that Billy Started doing Ernie while Steve was filming Muppets most wanted

Greenhoodie

Reaction score
Ironically, Rick Lyon is also rumored to have been fired from Sesame Street for being a bit of a loose canon and comes off similarly bitter. So there's that.

Here is a question though? Why the blind support for Steve?

Even with what we are reading, why not admit that we might know the guy beneath the puppet like we think we do. He wasn't Kermit. He's just a guy. Meanwhile, we completely discount or are angered at what Disney or the Henson's are trying to get across. Someone said that they would prefer that the Henson's simply call it creative differences and leave it at that. How can they do that or just sit back while Steve has started a blog, is doing interviews, etc. where he is creating a narrative that fails to tell the whole story?

As fans, maybe it's just hard to admit that the guy we look up to isn't perfect and may not be what we expect. He literally kept the character from showing up when he was supposed to. He may have put down his coworkers and kept some from performing at all. Even if well intentioned, he may not have gone about it with tact.

Also, enough with the "I can't imagine anybody but Steve as Kermit." outrage already. Do you realize how ridiculous that might sound to those of us who were alive in the 70's and 80's and earlier? You'll adjust. In fact, the characters depend on it.

Faylo

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's what she means when she refers to "the mouse."
Mickey is the root of all evil of course. /sarcasm, I'm a Disney Parks and classic cartoons fan.

I'm referring to the company :smile:

There's more and more coming out... Weird to think how this might have been handled even 10 years ago, pre-social media frenzy.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
Here is a question though? Why the blind support for Steve?
Blind support goes both ways. There are many people here who support the Henson family without thinking, without questioning, despite the fact that there are plenty of reports to suggest that the Hensons aren't always the nicest folks
on the block.

I think people are negatively responding to the dismissal of Whitmire's contribution to the Muppet legacy. Regardless of whether you liked his Kermit, and regardless of who he is as a person, he has been one of the core Muppet performers since the late 70s, and has created his own roster of characters. For Disney and the Henson kids to throw him under the bus like this, and to attempt to discredit his work as a puppeteer, just sounds ugly and distasteful.

We'll probably never know the truth, but can expect that it lies in the middle of both stories.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
As fans, maybe it's just hard to admit that the guy we look up to isn't perfect and may not be what we expect.
I know that's the trouble I have. I'm actually now trying to convince myself that it's still okay to say Wembley is still my favorite Fraggle, even though Steve is coming off as an entitled jerk-wad. Isn't it? :confused:

Also, enough with the "I can't imagine anybody but Steve as Kermit." outrage already. Do you realize how ridiculous that might sound to those of us who were alive in the 70's and 80's and earlier? You'll adjust. In fact, the characters depend on it.
To me, Jim Henson will always be the best Kermit. Heck, I really didn't like Steve's Kermit when I first heard it, but I adjusted to it, and I'll probably adjust to Matt's.