Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

KrazyJoe

Reaction score
This is unfortunate. I won't speak of the rumors I've heard as to why Steve departed, but I wish him all of the best. Ditto to Matt for his new duties.
Is it bad that I actually want to hear the rumors??

(sorry...human nature, I guess. I just can't imagine Whitmire not being there and a reason would help, I guess)

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
i heard about this on CBS this morning, i was very shocked when i heard it.
Oh, they televised that? I would have watched if I had known.

Is it bad that I actually want to hear the rumors??
Nah. I'm curious about that too. It might be good to have some ideas as to why he left. But you never know. Sometimes rumors can be a little too deep and dark, so you sort of have to see both sides of things.

I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say that this won't seem real untill we hear Matt as Kermit.
I know what you mean. After all, we have heard before that Harry Shearer was leaving "The Simpsons" and that ended up not happening. So it could be the same case here, but that's just wishful thinking.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Okay, you know what? I agree with @dwayne1115.

Something about this whole thing stinks of dead fish.

If it were a simple case of Steve deciding to move on with his life, Disney would not be acting the way they are now. Several news outlets have reported that whoever they talked to from The Muppets Studio declined to give a reason for Steve's departure. If Steve decided to retire, surely the Studio would have openly supported his decision and released some sort of statement thanking him for his years of dedication and wishing him luck for the future.

I know Steve is a very private guy, but like Jarrod Fairclough said on Twitter yesterday, Steve is as much of a fan of us as we are of him. Where's the statement from Steve? If there's no controversy surrounding his departure, where's the quick video or something to that degree confirming that he has retired and that he supports Matt? Is he waiting for the news to blow over first?

I may be coming off as a selfish and demanding fan, but you have to admit, I am right to be suspicious of the whole thing. Hopefully, we get the answers soon.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
This may sound kind of crazy but, I almost hope the rumors of Steve acting up are true. At least then we would know that Disney had a good reason to fire him, and we wouldn't have to be scared that any other Muppeteer might get kicked out for no reason. That is, if Steve was fired.