1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Forum Upgrade May 25
    We will be upgrading our forum software on Saturday May 25. This is a major upgrade that will add many new features and enhance security.

3. Radionomy ends May 31
    Radionomy has announced that all US stations, including Muppet Central Radio, will be removed on May 31, 2019.

4. You Can Be a Muppeteer
    Watch the Sesame Street Puppeteer Workshop with the amazing Sesame Street performers: Jennifer Barnhart, Matt Vogel and Marty Robinson.

Dismiss Notice
  5. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by GonzoMan, Jul 10, 2017.

1. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Well-Known Member

If what were hearing Is true and Whitmire was holding back Productions may be we will start hearing Rumors of Muppet Movies and TV shows?
    so may be something good comes out of this after all only time will tell we shall see?

all this being said I'm interested to hear what Dave Goelz has to say about this, does he do twitter?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Duke Remington likes this.
  2. ErinAardvark

ErinAardvark Well-Known Member

I don't really think my statement was the case. I was just curious if it were possible. I know nothing about how television works, just parodies of corrupt corporate executives. But seriously, with Cheryl and Lisa Henson's responses, I'm just completely confused as why wait until now to give Steve the boot.

3. LinkLady77

LinkLady77 Well-Known Member

I LOVED his Link Hogthrob...I am sad that I didn't get to hear more of Link being performed by Steve. The only other performer I can think of to do Link justice would be Bill Barretta since he sounded so much like Link with his David Hoggselhoff character from Muppets Tonight.

Another thing that I want to mention is that I am sad to hear about this all unfolding especially since The Jim Henson Exhibition at the Museum of the Moving Image is opening this Friday. I am still looking forward to seeing the exhibit, I gladly contributed on Kickstarter!

Zappetman and Muppet Master like this.
  4. CBPuppets

CBPuppets Well-Known Member

I'll say this, things are really starting to get into a Turmoil.

5. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Well-Known Member

The fact that 3 of the 4 remaining Henson children have gone out of their ways to say this...just makes it more disheartening to me and to many others on this site, but also left me a bit confused...If they had problems with Whitmire before, then why didn't they phased him out earlier, like during Muppets Tonight or after Muppet Treasure Island ?

I mean for them to wait this long, even though they don't own the property any more makes it a bit strange and questionable.

6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

It's like for every answer we get to this situation, it creates two more questions.

7. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

I can understand what Lisa & Brian said about Steve, even if they didn't like him, at least they were professional about it. But Cheryl's statement on facebook still shocks me. I always imagined everyone in the muppet world as one big family. Guess I was foolish to think that.

cahuenga and Zappetman like this.
  8. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

Is anyone else going to view some of the early - to - mid '90s and further productions differently?

Like, when I watch Muppet Christmas Carol later this year I'm probably going to be thinking "were they unhappy with Steve as early as this?"

Same thing with Muppet Treasure Island :( and so on

Zappetman, Muppy and Muppet Master like this.
  9. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

New interview with Brian http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...s-replaced-character-could-use-change-1022041

I have to say, I'm starting to side with Brian. While I can see what Steve's intentions were, it seems he was holding The Muppets back quite a bit by being afraid to have them take risks. Anyway, I look forward to seeing what The Muppets have in store for future projects and I wish the best for Steve in his future.

Muppy, Duke Remington and Old Thunder like this.
  10. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Well-Known Member

I guess that explains why Steve Whitmire got fired because he's a jerk? Not to be mean, but I never realize he can be that disrespectful.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Muppy likes this.
  11. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

I don't think he's a jerk. I think he's well-intentioned, but he comes off as disrespectful when trying to get his point across.

Duke Remington and Zappetman like this.
  12. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Well-Known Member

I see.

13. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff from Brian Henson. Although, I will say,

"My dad's No. 1 thing was don't repeat yourself. Innovate."

PUTS OUT A DARK CRYSTAL PREQUEL SERIES, FRAGGLE ROCK MOVIE, LABYRINTH SEQUEL...

14. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

"Henson granted an in-depth interview of his own in order to explain what actually happened from his perspective, even going as far to say that he should've let Whitmire go before selling the company to Disney in 2004.

"I have to say, in hindsight, I feel pretty guilty that I burdened Disney by not having recast Kermit at that point because I knew that it was going to be a real problem," Henson told THR. "And I have always offered that if they wanted to recast Kermit, I was all for it, and I would absolutely help. I am very glad we have done this now. I think the character is better served to remove this destructive energy around it."

"he was warned as far back as the mid-1990s needed to stop"

Ugh. This has been a problem since MTI days! I don't even know what to think anymore.

15. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

I try not to think of things like that when watching TV and movies, but I can see where you're coming from on that.

gavry3 likes this.
  16. D'Snowth

Okay, here's my current interpretation of the situation:

I'm going to guess that once Steve became Kermit that perhaps that was a little too much of a boost for his ego and probably made him feel like he could call more shots than he should - but at the same time, I still believe that Steve had the best intentions of wanting to do right by Jim and by the Muppets in general, so he probably got too complainy/nitpicky about certain directions made - particularly when Disney bought them.

17. Faylo

Faylo Well-Known Member

Oy. This is such a tangled web. I'm just wondering the thoughts of Dave, Bill, Peter etc. On this whole matter. Maybe have been hushed by the mouse?

Even those who have worked with Steve in the past... I'd like to hear some support. I truly think that Steve had good intentions (and I'm still supporting him!), but Cheryl's response put a sour taste in my mouth.

Zappetman likes this.
  18. CBPuppets

CBPuppets Well-Known Member

From what Brian said it sounds like as if Steve was beginning to hold everyone back

19. D'Snowth

So now I wonder if perhaps this has something to do with him no longer being with SST? Were they having problems with him too?

Muppet Master likes this.
  20. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I snook a peak at one of the newer articles about the situation and an anonymous source said that Steve was fired from SS as well, but for financial reasons (he wanted more money).