Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah I mean..for them to keep him this long and claiming they wanted to fire him years ago still confuses me.
Yeah. That does give us some insight on the incident on America's Got Talent back in '09. It does seem like Disney did want to fire Steve back then, but they may have brought him back 'by popular demand.' To quote the song from MMW. They may have been on and off with considering that decision. And I think the biggest thing that had them keep Steve for this long is because they knew Muppet fans liked him as Kermit. So we still don't know the second part of the puzzle, why they're changing their minds after so long.

I will give the writers credit that they didn't make Piggy jealous or mad at Denise for dating Kermit. They could of easily did that and I'm glad they got at least one thing right.
Overall, I kind of liked how the version of Miss Piggy on The Muppets was a lot more calm then we would have expected. Like someone mentioned before early on, :smile: breaking up with :mad:, would have caused her to send him flying through the roof. But she actually took it fairly well for the most part. She didn't like it, but she didn't react, same thing with Kermit's relationship with Denise. It does seem like they showed a softer side of Piggy, compared to the flanderized version seen in Good Luck Charlie. But maybe she was a little too mellow in The Muppets. Like I said before, it seems like in recent Muppet projects, the characters too much of one way or too much of the other way rather than having some in between balance.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
Geez! What is taking so long with Muppet Thought of the Week with Matt Vogel as Kermit? It's like they're afraid that if they release it on youtube, it might lead a backlash. Why can't they just move on and just do it? Or better yet, why can't people stop complaining about Steve Whitmire's firing and move on? At least I tried to move on.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
When Whitmire took over in '90, the public wasn't able to respond as quickly as they can now with social media. I'm sure they're a little nervous about what people will say when a new Kermit video pops up.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Geez! What is taking so long with Muppet Thought of the Week with Matt Vogel as Kermit? It's like they're afraid that if they release it on youtube, it might lead a backlash. Why can't they just move on and just do it? Or better yet, why can't people stop complaining about Steve Whitmire's firing and move on? At least I tried to move on.
I'm starting to think that they're waiting to debut the recast at the Hollywood Bowl. Makes sense considering it's a far more controlled environment than the internet.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Yeah I mean..for them to keep him this long and claiming they wanted to fire him years ago still confuses me.
I'm not sure about the timing of it all but maybe they were busy with major Muppet projects. The Muppets came out in 2011 and probably filming for a couple of years before that. Then they started filming Muppets Most Wanted which came out in 2014. And then they went into the new show last year. So maybe the timing just wasn't right to bring in a new Kermit. Hopefully this isn't a sign that we shouldn't expect anything for a bit.