Steve Whitmire 2018 Convention Appearances

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I was at a convention and saw Steve Whitmire. I asked him what he was up to, and he said "Your mama." Then, he punched me square in the face, and said, "That was my Kermit hand." He then pulled off his hair and announced, "My wig needs attention!" and his wig attendants ran up to him and combed his wig. They had bruises all over them from the previous wig-related incidents of the day.

So yes, @PumpkinJ, Steve is a VERY MEAN MAN.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I was at a convention and saw Steve Whitmire. I asked him what he was up to, and he said "Your mama." Then, he punched me square in the face, and said, "That was my Kermit hand." He then pulled off his hair and announced, "My wig needs attention!" and his wig attendants ran up to him and combed his wig. They had bruises all over them from the previous wig-related incidents of the day.

PumpkinJ

Reaction score
I saw Steve at Fanboy Expo (Knoxville TN) & he couldn't have been nicer.

@MrBloogarFoobly, you're absolutely right. Sometimes he can be nice, sometimes he can be MEAN. He was pretty nice that time when I met him at FL Supercon this summer.

Froggy Fool

Reaction score

You win the Internet today. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Today I went to see Steve Whitmire at Louisville Supercon, that was fun. I believe it's the first time I've been to a convention. Not to mention the first time I met somebody who has officially worked for the Muppet, got a picture taken with them, and got their autograph.

When I arrived, he wasn't there and there was a sign saying he'd be back two or three hours from then, so I walked around the building, it was a nice experience. When I eventually came back to the booth to wait in line, I was second in line. Before meeting him, I kept seeing people who looked similar and wondered if that was him.

He acted a lot like he does in interviews. He was real generous. We talked a bit about the Muppets, I felt like I was talking to a close friend. We talked a bit about Muppets (of course!), I told him my favorite obscure character is Lips (which he agreed about being one of the best), I asked if Lips was a live-hand puppet or had arm wires because I'd never seen the wires and noticed his fingers move, and he said something about there being a control in the valve that makes them move. I asked something I had been wondering for the last few years, whether when a fully-dressed character appears in a full-body shot if they build a completely new puppet with legs or if they just attach a lower half to them (he said they attach a lower half).

I also asked if he was asked to be in Muppet Guys Talking and he said he wasn't able to be in it, now I can't really remember if he actually said he was asked but with him being unavailable (and I think, as some fans have expected, it had to do with where he lived, but don't source me on that). I also mentioned that many of my favorites he didn't perform were done by Dave Goelz, and he agreed about them being such great characters, and I pointed out that now Goelz is the current performer who has been with the Muppets the longest (since Caroll Spinney just retired).

Another celebrity at the convention was Alice Cooper, and I kept thinking about the fact that he was the guest in the first episode he performed in and pointed this out to him. I tried asking if he knew/recalled what he did to be credited in episode 301 when he's said 307 was his first (and it did come before that in taping order) but didn't really know how to ask that. I also noticed most of the celebrity spaces had a red curtain behind them, making me think of The Muppet Show's red curtain. I can't remember if I mentioned that to him, but I did point it out to some of the people waiting with me.

I think I handled the meeting better than Walter did when meeting Kermit. I do tend to stutter/stammer at times but for the most part I think I did talk clearly to him.

Before I got there, I thought about, if I got to shake his hand, jokingly asking if he's washed his hands since the last time he had his hand in a Muppet and saying that if so I wouldn't wash my hand again. But I forgot about doing that (probably for the best).

Hmm, I wonder if I should consider writing an article about this for The Muppet Mindset, Just for the Halibut, MuppetsHenson blog, or another blog that accepts fan articles (I know Tough Pigs sometimes has fan articles, I feel they've had those a lot more in the last year, but I don't know if there's any standards on who can send an article). Or maybe this post is enough.