Steve Whitmire 2018 Convention Appearances

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Good to see what what Steve's new character will be, a literal Internet troll. Also here's video of Steve with Caroll and Debi Spinney. I think since Caroll and Debi are willing to do panels with Steve, that should indicate that being a bad employee and being a bad person are not the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I don’t think Steve ever had any fights with the performers, I mean both him and Rick Lyon were invited to Caroll’s retirement party.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of controversy (and I use the term lightly) surrounding Rick Lyon and his involvement with Henson, the Muppets, and SS. The thing we know for certain is that he ended up being let go from SS, and he then went on to create AQ in a double-sided paying homage and take-that jabbing kind of thing; the details of which are kind of inconsistent.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of controversy (and I use the term lightly) surrounding Rick Lyon and his involvement with Henson, the Muppets, and SS. The thing we know for certain is that he ended up being let go from SS, and he then went on to create AQ in a double-sided paying homage and take-that jabbing kind of thing; the details of which are kind of inconsistent.
I'm pretty sure Rick wasn't involved in the creation of Avenue Q. He had worked with the composers for that Kermit Prince of Denmark thing they had done previously, so they went to him again to help develop the puppets for AQ; all the early stuff was already conceived of at that point probably.

One of the composers (I don't remember) probably was the one with sour grapes toward SS when they interned there. There's a lot more "take that!" to children's programming in the original demos I've heard that was mostly cut from the final show.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
One of the composers (I don't remember) probably was the one with sour grapes toward SS when they interned there. There's a lot more "take that!" to children's programming in the original demos I've heard that was mostly cut from the final show.
It was Robert Lopez.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I think it's very respectful of Steve to not do the character voices in public since he's not playing them anymore:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, when I attended his panel last summer, a kid asked if he would say something like Ernie, but he declined out of respect. Although, when I was in line at his table, the people in front of me brought a homemade Kermit puppet that he tried on, and he did, albeit briefly and quietly, say something like Kermit.