Statler & Waldorf on movies.com

D

Dil

What about S&WFTB's tribute of Pirates of The Carribean: Dead Man's Chest?

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Seeing as how Brian Henson was recently quoted as saying, regarding what the Muppets have planned for Disney, "Right now nothing is in production," I find it hard to believe that all these major things are going on behind the scenes.

And I'll gladly list my source for that:

http://www.tv.com/story/story.html&story_id=4328

Yes, he does try to say kind things about Disney, but I wouldn't expect him to talk bad about them in a national article. And I do realize that Brian doesn't own the Muppets anymore, but he's a source close to Disney, so I expect that he would know. (And also, there's nothing currently on TV, and nothing has been reported in the Hollywood press about any production, further suggesting that, y'know, nothing is in production.)

I can't believe Disney would be hobnobbing with puppeteers and taking them on expensive vacations through their theme parks when they have no plans to use any of them in a project in the near future.

I agree that sometimes recasts are necessary, due to puppeteer illness or whatever. But that's not what we've seen so far. Other people are not playing Statler and Waldorf because Steve and Dave are busy filming something else. Steve and Dave have been sitting around waiting for the phone to ring (metaphorically, of course) while someone else does all the work instead.

Also, I agree that sometimes the quality of the voice isn't right. I love the fact that Jerry wanted to pay tribute to Richard Hunt by playing Statler, but frankly, Steve's Statler is closer to Richard's. That's fine. Again, that doesn't excuse random hodge-podge recasting as we saw in the Dr. Teeth fiasco.

And while everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'm staggered that some would think that Eric is a horrible replacement. To my mind (ears?), he's the best replacement of the last 15 years. He had me totally fooled at MuppetFest.

Yeah, his voice kind of strains in the commercials, but that's because (it seems that) he has to speak too fast for those 15-second ads. Piggy needs some time to deliver her lines properly. If Frank were dubbing these, I think we'd hear just as much vocal strain.

But I digress. We have two competing conspiracy theories here, neither of which are backed up by sources. If they're right, we'll find out in time, I guess. If not, it's not worth any more of our time reading about it.

D

Dil

Can you please tell me how you like the Pirates of The Carribean: Dead Man's Chest Episode of Statler & Waldorf From The Balcony?

JoeyMuppet

Reaction score
Dil said:
THOSE HAS HARDLY ANYTHING TO DO WITH STATLER & WALDORF FROM THE BALCONY!!

Can you please tell me how you like the Pirates of The Carribean: Dead Man's Chest Episode of Statler & Waldorf From The Balcony?
I agree,now to answer your question... I really enjoyed it Dil.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Dil said:
THOSE HAS HARDLY ANYTHING TO DO WITH STATLER & WALDORF FROM THE BALCONY!!

Dil, there's no need to shout. I was talking to others about the issue of who plays the characters on the show. Your question is valid too, but you can ask politely.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm not sure of Devon's motivations, but I couldn't (and wouldn't) divulge any of my own sources. However, everyone on both Muppet fan boards knows me well enough to know I'm not going to go around making up stuff, so with that being the case for folks like me it isn't necessary. I can understand, though, the curiosity when folks talk as if they know something and when it's someone we haven't known forever. I'm a hipocrite on the topic of citing sources, though.

I do share the opinion that if Diz didn't like the normal performers for these characters, I honestly doubt they'd be getting used in so many places (even if they are just appearances). Anybody see that youtube.com video of the Muppets on the Entertainment Tonight set? Those weren't newbie performers. And even so, Diz/MHC has no idea where or how to use The Muppets.

The most dangerous thing I see facing the Muppets right now is the lack of projects and that Diz/MHC is riding on the coat-tails of the characters' retro-fanatics. We're all holding on steadfastedly to The Muppet Show and works by Jim Henson and are buying whatever they put out there for us to get and it seems they're happy with that. We need new projects being made!

So, in ways, I'm agreeing with everybody it seems on some level or another.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Dil said:
Hi, Dil. I deleted that first line from your post because it was rather rude. Everyone is still on topic in a round-about way. And I, too, would like to see this go back on track about the little 'net show although all topical conversation is pertinent.

beaker

Reaction score
Amicus said:
true, Disney doesn't always have a good grip on their own stuff but the Henson kids and Jane are 100% involved as well and are currently securing the future for the Muppets.
They're in the planning stages of the new show as well as many live appearences.
Once can only hope, I'd love to see some test footage of these so called "new voices"....I'll reserve judgement for later. But it disturbs me we have no teven heard rumors of any new Muppet projects for the future.

As for the new S&W @ the movies, LOVED IT! Best new episode in ages, and definately ranks up with the earlier installments. Btw, this is the SECOND time they've spoofed the the Actor's Studio with James Lipton..the first was on the extras of the Very Merry Muppet Xmas dvd with Pepe.

beaker

Reaction score
OverUnderAround said:
Remember gang, Disney's Muppets are now built by www.puppetheap.com,
The Jim Henson Company lost the contract to build Disney's Muppets, the Henson Company was asking to much moolah.
Puppetheap rocks...they have that very cool "Jim Henson Hour" mix of muppet worlds fantasy and muppets style.