Sesame Workshop/Shout! Factory Deal

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It was a surprise to see Ernie and Bert's "Happy Birthday to U", since he basically sings the copyrighted "Happy Birthday". I don't know if it counts as parody to replace "you" with "u". Then again, I think I read that the songs lyrics officially lost their copyright status a few years ago.
"Happy Birthday to You" entered the public domain in 2016.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I mistakenly thought the bonus episode, Elmo's Alphabet Race, would be the whole episode as opposed to just the street story. But at the beginning, there's some silence that stands out. It must be muting an underscore of the theme, but that silence sounds awkward. I know the theme song has been cut/absent from a lot of Sesame Street DVD releases this decade, though in the last few years there had been some that included the theme, so I thought they resolved whatever issues have kept the theme song from video releases. And underscores of the theme at the beginning and end of various episodes have remained on DVDs during this time as well.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The next release is called Dance Party, which will be two hours of segments about dancing. It'll include the bonus video Elmo's Music Magic (I would have chosen Dance Along or Zoe's Dance Moves).

Judging from the description and listing of confirmed celebrity guests, it looks like it'll all be high definition material, but we won't know for sure until it's released (or until we see a promo). I see it includes something with The Feijoo Sisters, I like those segments. The guest star list might not be complete, but I'd like it to include one of the Suzanne Farrell segments (none of her appearances have been released commercially, though one was in one of the classic episodes on iTunes).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think it was said that Shout! plans to put out at least four a year, and so far this year it seems they're doing one every three months (of course the two releases from 2018 came out closer, and the first release from this year was released close to those). So if Dance Party comes out in August, I would expect the next after that to come out in November.

Somehow I'm thinking the next will be either When You Wish Upon a Pickle or another Elmo's World release (if not what I'm really hoping for - a 50th anniversary release).

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
This trailer shows that the episodes Ernie's Dance Video, Dance Your Favorite Dance Day, and So You Think You Can Choreograph made be on the next DVD:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This trailer shows that the episodes Ernie's Dance Video, Dance Your Favorite Dance Day, and So You Think You Can Choreograph made be on the next DVD:

Didn't think the promo would come out so soon after the announcement (especially when we have to wait three months).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Although it has its own thread, I guess I'll mention the news we all know that there'll be an anniversary release, 50 Years and Counting, coming October 1.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's been announced that the upcoming 50th anniversary special will come to DVD on December 3.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
last week some of the bonus features for Sesame Street’s 50th Anniversary Celebration, which will include Elmo’s World: Celebration and the 50 Years in 50 Seconds viral video.

amazon lists it as an hour and 15 minutes, I heard that the special is 46 minutes, the Elmo’s World episode is from the current five-minute incarnation, so that’s just 51 minutes. So either Amazon is wrong with the time, there’s bonus features not yet announced, or the special will be longer on DVD

minor muppetz

Reaction score
According to Muppet Wiki, the DVD release of Sesame Street’s 50th Anniversary Celebration includes some of the celebrity favorite moments (like the PBS broadcast does), but they also lead to the full clips discussed. Kinda cool, though not anything real high on my wishlist (there are a few new-to-video clips, including Grover and Oscar’s sound game. Too bad it didn’t include the favorite moment involving Roosevelt Franklin, would have been a good opportunity for a Roosevelt Franklin sketch on DVD).

it also says they cut “I Remember”, which is not a big loss considering it’s on 50 Years and Counting, but it does mean cutting the introduction to the clip, and that was a great scene.