Sesame Street Special "Once Upon a Sesame Street Christmas"

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
My main criticism of her is that her manipulation isn't that great (case and point: "Do You Hear the Cookies Crunch?" in the Les Mousserables bit). I guess I'm biased because there are plenty of other Muppeteers who aren't either (Brian M, Fran [though she improved] and even Jerry, though that might have been a deliberate thing I hear). I don't why I can't get past it with her the way I can the others.
Do you think the reason why you have a problem with Leslie's manipulation is because by the time Abby was introduced, you were old enough to know who the puppeteers were? The reason for Brian Meehl's "poor manipulation" is because he was never into puppets before he joined. In fact he said, whenever he'd finish with his bits on Sesame, he would leave the puppet on the floor.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I mean, it's possible. Considering I've watched the show consistently since she started, I'm always seeing her perform as opposed to past performers.

And that's not really just a Brian thing; Jim wouldn't really respect the puppets either.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Then you've got people like Billy Barkhurst or Paul Rugg who are experienced in voice acting, but tried to get into puppetry later on (much like Fran). Or, in Marilyn Sokol's case, she may not have been able to get the hang of the puppetry aspect, but Jim liked her voice enough to keep her on specifically to dub for female characters like Ma Otter, or even singing voices like Betty Lou in "I Want a Monster to Be My Friend." That says something about Jim, who usually required you to be able to do both - voice and performer, not just one or the other.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
So I guess the special is airing on PBS a few times this week. Good to know.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
So I guess the special is airing on PBS a few times this week. Good to know.
That's why I bumped this thread, so that people who are just watching it for the first time can give their thoughts here. @LittleJerry92, do you think you can catch the special and give us your thoughts? It's no Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, but it's pretty darn good. It's okay if you have negative things to say about it, I just want you to give this special a chance.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Beginning today, don't miss the Emmy Award-winning special "Once Upon a Sesame Street Christmas" on PBS. Check local listings for times in your area or on-line at http://pbskids.org/tv-times/.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I liked it, though not as much as Christmas Eve on Sesame Street or Elmo Saves Christmas, but it was still enjoyable. One question is why do the ancestors of the regular characters have the same name? Couldn’t they have different names? Maybe Elmo’s Dad isn’t the best storyteller in that regard. And why aren’t Nina and Alan featured more even in the story? Even Chris, why couldn’t he have shown up? At least, more characters got a chance in the spotlight other than Elmo. Mr. Johnson’s presence was most unexpected, he was a great addition to the story. I liked Leslie’s performance as Smudge a.k.a. Becky with a Brooklyn accent.

All in all, I liked it enough to want to watch it every year.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The PBS version inexplicably added some new material to help round out the hour, it seems. After Santa munches down on Elmo's cookies, it transitions to an "H is for Holiday" film, then a neat little music video of "Jingle Bells" starring Elmo and Abby (with a Honker, Dinger and various other AM critters, all in split-screen; think the Muppet viral videos). They also cut out the brief wide shot / pan to Big Bird's nest at the end, where you see Nina and Leslie Cararra passing by.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The PBS version inexplicably added some new material to help round out the hour, it seems. After Santa munches down on Elmo's cookies, it transitions to an "H is for Holiday" film, then a neat little music video of "Jingle Bells" starring Elmo and Abby (with a Honker, Dinger and various other AM critters, all in split-screen; think the Muppet viral videos). They also cut out the brief wide shot / pan to Big Bird's nest at the end, where you see Nina and Leslie Cararra passing by.
I really hope Sesame puts up that version of Jingle Bells on their YT page.