Sesame Street Special "Once Upon a Sesame Street Christmas"

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Shane. Heh, "Oscar the Malcontent".
BTW: Was :batty: in the Victorian era scenes as well?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Just once, when all five of Holly's lights lit up to everyone's excitement.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I see Leslie made a cameo with her dog Newhart during the opening song:

Ryan's Elmo is top-notch in this. I don't know how or why, but his Elmo kind of feels more "real" than Kevin's, no offense. Elmo really feels like an authentic child in this.
I agree, I love Kevin's Elmo, he was cute and often funny but Ryan's Elmo has a much greater range of emotions. Now, I don't know if that has more to do with the writing or Ryan's performance, but either way, the character has really started to become more rounded in a way he hasn't been in almost 20 years, maybe even more so than he was twenty years ago. I guess it's kind of down to the two performers personalities: Kevin was sweet and charming, and that shined through when he did Elmo, but Ryan has kind of this childlike energy and silliness to him, and I think that's what we see when he performs the character.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that this was perhaps Eric's greatest performance as Grover yet, he's grown so much into the character that there's hardly any noticeable difference between his and Frank's Grover. His Bert has definitely grown as well.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
we ended up with that horrific Veggie Monster rumor that's still won't quite refuse to die.

I know I've been saying for the past few years that Big Bird, sadly, just isn't sounding quite the same . . . well, Oscar's catching up now - there's an almost listless quality in his voice now, he was even lacking the usual gruffness throughout. :frown:
I don't think the Veggie Monster thing is around as much anymore. I think the YT stuff ("Share it Maybe," the Crumby Pictures stuff) sort of erased that from the public perception.

And I noticed that about Caroll too. His BB and Oscar in this sounded very weak. I hope he can make it to season 50 like they wanted.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's still an occasional troll out there from time to time who will try to bring it back to people's attention, which is why I said it still won't quite refuse to die. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly nowhere near as problematic as it was there for a while, but it's still out there in some respect.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I'd expect "Once Upon a Sesame Street Christmas" to receive a 2017 DVD release and likely air on PBS next year.
Yeah. It seems like a lot of us have the same problem. Still it's a pain to have to wait a year. I still have yet to see the Halloween special. I don't know why Sesame Workshop won't eventually put those on their You Tube channel. After all, they did start to upload the new Furchester Hotel eps. *sigh*

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I saw the special recently I like the used of Mr. Johnson and The 2-Head Monster, who performed Joey's half, but, overall it was a pretty good special.