Sesame Street shrinks to 30 minutes, new shows will premiere on HBO and PBS nine months later

What is the biggest major change Sesame Street has been through in the past 46 years?

• Total voters

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, but notice it says, "Reducing the annual shows from 130 episodes in 1998 eventually down to 26 episodes in 2003." Gets the point across in a relatively short sentence instead of, "Reducing the annual shows from 130 episodes down to 65 episodes in 1998, then down to 50 episodes in 2002, then finally down to 26 episodes in 2003."

123Sunny

Reaction score
?!?!?
Aw, I liked it when it was an hour. Oh well, I'm sure it will still be good
:sigh:
How are they gonna have time for all the stuff though? Doesn't HBO have ads, or is it like PBS
I still can't wait!:big_grin:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
HBO, and other premium cable movie channels like it, do not interrupt the programs with commercials, they usually play programs from start to finish with no interruptions, then they fill in the gaps between what they broadcast with promos and ads for upcoming shows and movies they're going to be airing.

123Sunny

Reaction score
Oh that's good, but it's still too short. We gotta maximize the Sesame Street! Oh well, I know it will still be AWESOME! The other changes all sound so exciting!:wisdom::wisdom::wisdom:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
And HBO typically runs shows for nearly the full half hour. And without the need of the corporate sponsor ads at the beginning and ending of each show since 1998, the show gets even more time. So, we'll see what they can squeeze into a half-hour.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd have to time a PBS kid's show exactly, but other than that, I think without sponsors they'd be able to have a nice smooth 25 minute ride at least. I don't imagine they'd have to cut too much out.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I've just checked my local listings and it does indeed look like Sesame Street is officially switching to its 30 minute format on November 16 on PBS. Still no word yet on the premiere of the next Season,although I did notice that on the same day and through the rest of that week HBO's schedule dosen't show anything for November 16-20(All weekdays) but has listings for the days after that.Hhmm,almost like HBO is trying to keep something secret,something they haven't announced perhaps :fishy:

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
HBO has listings for the entire month and SS isn't on it.

Given the fact that they recently added the new set design into their site, and also, "sesameworkshop.org/season46" used to be a "page not found"-type thing, but now, it's a unique page, only with all the season 45 info. So, I'm guessing something's coming soon-ish.