Sesame Street Season 51 Episode 5103 - Measuring Big Bird

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't care for this iteration of EW either. But the kids must be responding to it, otherwise they wouldn't keep makin' dem.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't think they look that bad, but I don't get why they shoot Elmo and the co-host on two separate green/bluescreens.
Maybe certain characters key better on certain screens than others? Like, Elmo may key better on a bluescreen, but obviously, somebody like Grover or Cookie would key better on a greenscreen?

Froggy Fool

Reaction score
i would say it's due to a lot of the characters (elmo, cookie, etc.) having fur, which i know is a LOT harder to deal with when you're doing green/bluescreen, but i feel like even non-furry characters are guilty of looking pretty cheap on those segments?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Honestly, SS has just gotten really bad with this in recent years, if even their web-exclusive content is of any indication of this. The backgrounds and scenery and everything are always really bold, bright, and colorful, but the characters themselves look so dull and under-saturated, which adds to the false/artificial/cheap/fake look of the content . . . I'm guess with their web content, they don't really bother doing a lot of technical work in post-production like color correction and such like they would for the actual TV show . . . I mean, as critical as I've been over SS's excessive and overkilling use of chromakey in the last decade or so, I'll at least say that compared to their web content, segments like Super Grover 2.0, Crumby Pictures, Smart Cookies, and such look decent.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The web stuff is done in the small studio in the Sesame Workshop offices, which I imagine aren't capable of producing that high quality a production.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a budgetary constraint on the actual show itself too. HBO (and Max) might be footing the bill for production, but we don't know what the budget they're allotting is.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean they could still fix it up in post, though . . . even a lot of amateurs have some basic knowledge of adjusting things like brightness, contrast, saturation, etc.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I kept wondering who this Haley Seinfeld was that everybody was saying is one of the today's biggest stars in show business, because I never heard of her, but now I can see that . . . I was way off. Still never seen anything she's been in, or heard any of her music.