Sesame Street Season 50 Episode 5013 - A New Friend on Sesame Street

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 5013 - A New Friend on Sesame Street
HBO Premiere: Saturday February 8, 2020
PBS Premiere: Monday October 26, 2020

There's a new friend on Sesame Street! Charlie just moved into the neighborhood. Her parents were in the military, so they moved around a lot. Now Sesame Street is their new home. Elmo and Rosita show Charlie around and she learns that Sesame Street is a place where anyone can be friends no matter who you are.

This episode features an all-new street story, a new Big Bird's Road Trip (New River Indian Community, Arizona), Thomas Rhett sings "This is My Street", Cookie Monster's Foodie Truck ("Milk") and Elmo's World ("Sharing").

If you saw "A New Friend on Sesame Street" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I guess I was expecting a little more from this episode, but I guess I should know better by now. This young girl is very talented from what I've seen and she shows promise; we'll be seeing quite a few times more, so we'll see where she goes from here. And nice seeing Jen! I think I'd like that callback to the first episode more if the show wasn't so far removed from what it used to be.

It was nice to see the whole Muppet gang (for the most part), from the obvious inclusions to the rather minor (like Mumford). It's a shame this is the most we've seen pretty much of Ernie, Bert and the Count, though. And I dunno, I wish they'd have chosen a different song.

That 2 animation was cute. Seriously, why can't the letter bits be more like this?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This felt like an almost complete recycle of the Season 33 street story where Emily moved to the street, only with the mythology nods to the very first episode, quoting Gordon's very first line: "You've never seen a street like Sesame Street! Everything happens here, you're gonna love it!" Right down to Oscar even throwing back to one of his very first lines as well, "Don't bang on the lid of my trashcan, wouldja? You're lettin' all the fresh air and sunlight in, boy I hate that!"

Enjoyed Jen's cameo as Charlie's mom, and like Shane said, it was nice to see such a wide cast of Muppets included in the story. For what it is, it's pretty good.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I can’t decide if I’m surprised that This is My Street has been repeated so soon after it’s first appearance on the show. Of course this seems like a good episode to include it (if only they could have moved the structuring around a little and been allowed to have it open the show).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
By the way, what's with the increased obsession with stained glass on the street? Is this something of a fad/trend within NYC in recent years or something?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I liked this episode a lot. Charlie is quite cute and I'm looking forward to more of her. I liked the nods to the premiere episode. I thought the new version of Anyone Can Be Friends was nice.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Looking back at it again, man, that moving van was ridiculously and unrealistically tiny! It was smaller than Big Bird and Snuffy! I've never seen a moving van that small!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Looking back at it again, man, that moving van was ridiculously and unrealistically tiny! It was smaller than Big Bird and Snuffy! I've never seen a moving van that small!
It was the Foodie Truck, just with a paint job. Why waste a good prop?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The episode was kind of meh, in my opinion
Not much plot or even very many moments of actual interaction between Charlie and the other characters
Not to mention, that *Anyone Can Be Friends" song kinda sucks. I wish they would've used the song from Julia's introduction episode, or anything that has more actual lyrics.
The whole thing felt rushed.

But yea, Charlie is sweet, I suppose.