Sesame Street Episode 847 with Margaret Hamilton

Schfifty

Reaction score
I get that. But still, it's not cool. You wouldn't film in a movie theater or Broadway show, would you? And it's not fair to Craig or Stephanie or the good folks at the Jim Henson Legacy and MOMI. In the end, it's potentially damaging for any future rare screenings they may want to do because the fans can't be trusted to keep their phones in their pockets.
^ This.

It's totally understandable why this is prohibited. If they say not to film something confidential, you don't do it. People need to understand that this episode is forbidden from general use, at least until Sesame Workshop or those folks can negotiate something legally. It terrified kids and it got pulled, and they're most certainly not going to face legal consequences over something simple like that.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Scott threw everyone for a loop when he said it wasn't banned, which it clearly was
I mean, again, it wasn't. Certainly not in the sense that everyone keeps building it up. It was recommended not to be shown again, which is not out of the ordinary. But people keep using the bait-y "BANNED" term, and it's just inaccurate.

Aside from getting Hamilton's estate to sign off on allowing the episode to be screened at an event or sold for streaming, it's no different from any other elusive episode. It's just been built up to have a certain reputation in the minds of fans because of the content and some letters to CTW.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Let me just say I got info from someone who has way more sway on this episode than anyone on the forum (and probably anyone else in general tbh): the reason the episode is not being released is because of the scare factor, not rights. I was told not to say anything, so I cannot elaborate beyond that.

I really wish I can say more because I got some good info, but was told not to. I don't even know why because what I was told was nothing super revolutionary but there were some interesting tidbits in there and if I released the statement then it would probably pacify some people, but I've probably said too much to begin with.

What I can do however is infer on what I was told, and what I infer is that the episode would've been released by now if they wanted to, and that it'll probably never be released so long as SS is an active-running brand; this is essentially what I've said since day one.

Last edited:

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Let's just say that Sesame Street could definitely afford to clear the rights for this episode if they wanted to (if they already haven't).

scarecroe

Reaction score
the reason the episode is not being released is because of the scare factor, not rights.
I don't who your sources are — or who you are, for that matter (faceless username) — but I'll say that your assessment is close, but still inaccurate.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I don't who your sources are — or who you are, for that matter (faceless username) — but I'll say that your assessment is close, but still inaccurate.
I don’t know Wizard of Oz film is currently owned by Warner Bros. so, there’s one part of the rights

derpmaster23

Reaction score
HBO owns the rights to The Wizard Oz because HBO is part of Warner. Recently it's been a while btw but i'm here to give some updates on any leaks. Some footage apparently got leaked onto 4chan and audio, The audio is on youtube currently. A user called PBSObserver tried to upload the footage twice, Thankfully I was able to get him to fully stop. Since then however the footage has been posted onto Archive.org and from where we are at that point. The user won't take it down. I'm planning to contact the site on friday upon the situation to see if they can do something. Im happy people got to see lost Sesame Street footage but it honestly shouldn't be on the internet unless Sesame open's up and releases the episode which at this point HBO is our best bet with them owning rights to the Wizard of Oz. One more thing my Aunt has seen the episode in full. She wasn't scared by the episode.